Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

IGMP in latest 6th Gen AirPort Extreme Base Station (mini Tower model)

I have just received and set up the 6th gen AEBS and noticed there is an "IGMP Snooping" option in the AirPort Utility. I am unable to locate any article or documentation on this option.

What does this option do?

How does it "behaves" on 6th gen AEBS (as compared to other 3rd party wireless APs/routers with same feature)?

Mac mini, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4)

Posted on Jul 2, 2013 7:35 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 3, 2013 2:18 AM

There is zero mention of it in the manual.

There is zero info released by apple in documents.. at least that I can find.

It is noted as existing in the 6.3 utility.. and is off by default.

(IGMP = internet group management protocol, allows routers to learn which multicasts you want to receive. IGMP snooping is done by switches so they only send multicasts to ports where hosts actually want them.)

I really doubt this is a biggie.. turn it on for Multicast when you use iTunes store or TV from netflix etc. See if it does anything .. !!

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 3, 2013 2:18 AM in response to chaicka

There is zero mention of it in the manual.

There is zero info released by apple in documents.. at least that I can find.

It is noted as existing in the 6.3 utility.. and is off by default.

(IGMP = internet group management protocol, allows routers to learn which multicasts you want to receive. IGMP snooping is done by switches so they only send multicasts to ports where hosts actually want them.)

I really doubt this is a biggie.. turn it on for Multicast when you use iTunes store or TV from netflix etc. See if it does anything .. !!

Aug 7, 2013 10:58 AM in response to chaicka

Multicast is becoming more commonly used to broadcast IPTV. BT in the UK for example delivers linear TV channels over multicast on their BT Infinity fibre broadband and some of these are even in HD. Multicast sends the same datastream to all ethernet/wifi ports on the particular multicast network. The advantage of this is that the server doesn't have to send multiple individual stream to multiple devices on the same network. It sends 1 stream and the network hardware floods all ports with the stream. The disadvantage is if a device on a network does not want to consume the multicast stream then its effective bandwidth is reduced because it gets the stream regardless of the fact it doesn't want it - particularly important with wifi. IGMP "listens" to each ethernet/wifi port and works out whether the individual port has initiated a multicast request. If it has not then the multicast stream is not sent to that port and it saves bandwidth. Turning this feature on for most people will either not be noticable if you don't use multicast or will help network speed for devices not using multicast.

IGMP in latest 6th Gen AirPort Extreme Base Station (mini Tower model)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.