Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot delete files from external HD error code-50

I keep getting error code-50 when trying to delete a file from my external HD (western digital). I've restarted everything, it is not a special character problem. I have been using this HD for about a year and this problem just recently started. Also I cannot run disk utility verify because the HD does not show up in disk utility. Not sure if it ever did but I never had problems until now.

Posted on Jul 3, 2013 3:44 AM

3 replies

Jul 3, 2013 5:01 AM in response to beecazz

beecazz wrote:

Also I cannot run disk utility verify because the HD does not show up in disk utility.

That sounds like cause for concern, but I don't know whether it's connected with the -50 error.

Do you have backup to restore from if things take a turn for the worse?

For the deleting problem you could look at the following link. Trash It! seems to solve many Trash problems:

http://www.thexlab.com/faqs/trash.html

Jul 3, 2013 5:54 AM in response to beecazz

I'm not sure what to suggest, but I think you need to get a backup plan organised, just in case the disk is shaping up to fail. I'd be inclined to do this before trying to troubleshoot the problem.

Once you have backup, you could try booting into the Recovery HD to see if the drive is detected and any repairs are needed. Restart holding down Command + r and once booted select Disk Utility. Select Macintosh HD and click on 'repair disk'. If anything is repaired click on repair disk again until you get a clean pass. Restart as normal from the Apple menu and see if you can delete the file.

Cannot delete files from external HD error code-50

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.