Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Upgrade Dramas 3.4.5 - NIK Plugins

Hi,

Had the usual upgrade to Aperture 3.4.5 dramas and sorted it out with a reinstall and some swearing. Then my NIK plugins got knocked out. NIK were kind enough to link me to the full new suite. Guess what? They all crash. BOOOO!!!

Still waiting on word from them, anyone with similar dramas?

I'm more of a hobbyist so I'm not sitting on dealine jobs, but still quite frustrated.

Thanks

Tried ArnieB's slution from Dec2012 - nuthin'!

ArnieB

Re: Nik Software

Dec 22, 2012 1:58 PM ( in response to Pabli)

Thanks Pabli, I too contacted Nik and they sent me the following instructions, which failed to work

Maybe you will have better luck.

Thank you for contacting Nik Software. HDR Efex Pro 2 and Color Efex Pro 4 take advantage of the Graphics Processing Unit (GPU) of the computer system. The GPU is also sometimes referred to as the Display Adapter or Video Card, in any case they are all the same. Sometimes certain video cards will not handle this additional processing.

In order to resolve this, the first measure would be to update the Display Adapters or GPU driver. Generally the video card that comes with your Mac will be updated automatically. The exception may be when there has been an additional video card added. In that case the user may need to go to the video card manufacturer's website to download an updated driver for their secondary GPU. If you are using Mac OS Snow Leopard (10.6) ensure to update to 10.6.6 or higher as this can affect performance. If this does not apply to you, please go to the next section below.

If after following the above steps you are still experiencing the same issue, the next step will be to either disable the GPU (if possible) or force the plug-ins to not use the GPU (safe-mode). In order to disable the GPU in the plug-ins, please do the following in each one:

1. If you are able to open the program and can see part of the interface, see if you can click on the"Settings" button in the lower left.
  2. In Settings locate the section "GPU" and expand it, in this section you will see a check box "Enable GPU Processing", uncheck this so the GPU will be disabled, then close the settings window.
  3. Close out of the program (click Cancel), quit out of any and all host applications (Photoshop, Lightroom, Aperture), and then relaunch HDR Efex Pro 2 or Color Efex Pro 4 to see if this corrects this issue.

If you are unable to disable the GPU via Settings or if the issue has not been resolved (e.g. HDR Efex Pro 2 or Color Efex Pro 4 crashes or the buttons are not displaying correctly), please try the following steps below after quitting out of all host applications (Photoshop, Lightroom, Aperture):

1. Open a finder window (or double click on the Macintosh HD on the desktop) and navigate to:
    Macintosh HD : Users : <user name> : Library :Preferences : Nik Software : HDR Efex Pro 2
  2. Locate the file, HDREfexPro2.cfg and right-click and choose "open with..." and then click "Choose" and then locate the applications, "TextEdit" to open this file.
  3. At the very beginning (before all the text) of the configuration file, paste the following code below verbatim:
    <configuration>
  4. <group name="INTERN">
  5. <key name="UseSafeMode" type="bool" value="1"/>
  6. </group>
  7. </configuration>
  8. Now save the file, close it and relaunch HDR Efex Pro 2 and see if the issue has been resolved.

Then, for Color Efex Pro 4:

1. Open a finder window (or double click on the Macintosh HD on the desktop) and navigate to:
    Macintosh HD : Users : <user name> : Library :Preferences : Nik Software : Color Efex Pro 4
  2. Locate the file, ColorEfexPro4.cfg and right-click and choose "open with..." and then click "Choose" and then locate the applications, "Text Edit" to open this file.
  3. At the very beginning (before all the text) of the configuration file, paste the following code below verbatim:
    <configuration>
  4. <group name="INTERN">
  5. <key name="UseSafeMode" type="bool" value="1"/>
  6. </group>
  7. </configuration>
  8. Now save the file, close it and relaunch Color Efex Pro 4 and see if the issue has been resolved.

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4), 2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 6GB ram

Posted on Jul 3, 2013 3:22 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 3, 2013 6:25 PM

From Google

Navigate to your Applications folder and open your Font Book as seen below.

2. Scroll up to the Arial fonts (A), select the drop down triangle to view it's contents (B).

3.Select any duplicates, hold your mouse over them to check their path(C).

4.Any fonts located in the "Path: Library/Fonts/'name of arial font" should be kept (such as the example above).

5.Duplicate fonts in any other location, such as the example below, should be removed by right-clicking (or control-clicking) and selecting "Remove 'Font Name'".

Examples of incorrect locations that should be removed are:

-Path: Users/ 'username'/Library /Fonts

-Path: Library/Fonts/Microsoft

6. Please repeat this process for all 'Arial' font duplicates, such as Arial Black, Arial Hebrew, etc.

7.Once all duplicate Arial fonts have been removed, please quit font book and restart your system.

If the crashing continues, then please let me know which of the plug-ins cause Aperture to crash. Is it all six, or is it just a few of them? This information will be helpful to continue troubleshooting.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 3, 2013 6:25 PM in response to drsquidd

From Google

Navigate to your Applications folder and open your Font Book as seen below.

2. Scroll up to the Arial fonts (A), select the drop down triangle to view it's contents (B).

3.Select any duplicates, hold your mouse over them to check their path(C).

4.Any fonts located in the "Path: Library/Fonts/'name of arial font" should be kept (such as the example above).

5.Duplicate fonts in any other location, such as the example below, should be removed by right-clicking (or control-clicking) and selecting "Remove 'Font Name'".

Examples of incorrect locations that should be removed are:

-Path: Users/ 'username'/Library /Fonts

-Path: Library/Fonts/Microsoft

6. Please repeat this process for all 'Arial' font duplicates, such as Arial Black, Arial Hebrew, etc.

7.Once all duplicate Arial fonts have been removed, please quit font book and restart your system.

If the crashing continues, then please let me know which of the plug-ins cause Aperture to crash. Is it all six, or is it just a few of them? This information will be helpful to continue troubleshooting.

Sep 21, 2013 12:36 PM in response to drsquidd

I think that the issue is only with HDR Efex Pro 2. I have used Define and Color Efex Pro 4 on the same image files. They do their job. HDR is the only one that quits.

I have tried the Google suggestion of adding the coe to the HDR Efex configuration file and it did not change anything.

I have just checked for duplicate Arial fonts, and I do not see any duplicates as mentioned in point 4 (so everything has been kept).

Scrolling further down I find the "Microsoft" folder. It is full of fonts, some Arial (see attached).

User uploaded file

Should I just delete the Microsoft folder? I do have some MS Office for Mac installed.

Sep 23, 2013 5:43 AM in response to drsquidd

No, I have not done that. I have submitted a ticket to Nik to see what they have to say. Everything had been so stable, for so long, that I have lost touch with how to get the latest versions of Nik software. The plug-ins themsleves used to take me to the right location at Nik. I will have to re-educate myself.

When I hear back from them I will decide whether to Command R the situation.

Thanks for your help. I should be back sometime today.

Sep 23, 2013 8:56 AM in response to fla41w

OK, I have the Nik update. They sent me a link to download the latest versions of all plugins "NikCollection_1.007_22671_mac_full.dmg", with instructions to install the collection. They claimed that they have seen this issue with older Nik versions.

I installed all plugins and started Aperture. It worked. HDR Efex Pro 2, stopped crashing during load of the image. I was able to use a couple of presets and saved an HDR version.

When I tried the full screen version, I got a smeared rendering of the lower left as I have seen described above. I quit Aperture and restarted and the image looked fine in full screen mode.

I figure that I might have to redo the GPU configuration fix, to finishup. I will maybe get to that later.

For now, I am happy that the plug-in is not crashing.

Thanks to the Dr and to others who took an interest in this issue.

Upgrade Dramas 3.4.5 - NIK Plugins

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.