Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problems with security updates and apps in folders

I have way too many applications on my mac book pro, to keep them all in one Applications folder.

So I have made folders under Applications and I have my apps distributed across those sub-folders.

This works fine except when Apple issues updates.

The updates don't look in the sub-folders and just write their new files to the Applications folder.

As a result, I do not get the updates.

I have tried several ways to merge these update files into the real locations but none of them work properly.

So if the update information says it will be updating iTunes (for example), I simply move iTunes from my sub-folder

up to the Applications directory, do the update, and them move iTunes back down to my sub-folder.

Though it is a bit of a pain in the a--, this works fine, except for security updates.

When Apple issues security updates, they don't bother to say what applications will be affected.

I have even looked on the web site for the downloads and there too it does not say.

So for the security update that came out yesterday 7/2/13, all my apps did not get updated.

After the doing the update, I downloaded the update dmg and copied the apps to Applications, and tried to apply the

update again, but it said my disk did not qualify for the update - probably because it was in use.

Are there any "good" solutions for this problem.

It really would be helpful if Apple said what applications the update will touch.

Thanks.

Paul

MacBook Pro, iOS 6

Posted on Jul 3, 2013 7:06 AM

5 replies

Jul 3, 2013 7:23 AM in response to plevintampabay

Don't understand why you have too many to keep in one folder. I don't see why you can't put hundreds in there, if that's what you have. If you need to find them, just open Spotlight (space bar + Cmd) and type in the first few letters.

I don't know why you're getting that message about disk does not qualify.

What OS is this? Your iOS version is useless here. Are you running 10.6.8?

I have tried several ways to merge these update files into the real locations but none of them work properly.

What have you tried? Should be simple enough just to place the apps themselves inside /Applications.

This latest update affects Quicktime, but I wouldn't count on that being all it affects.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5806

Jul 3, 2013 8:01 AM in response to WZZZ

Thank you for replying.

I am running 10.6.8.

It has been "good practice" for well over 40 years to organize objects into directories. This principle has been in UNIX (the basis of Mac OS) since the very first version of UNIX in the early 70's.

So to say that the only solution is to have all my apps in one directory is not an acceptable solution.

The latest update affected the App Store, Quick Time, Mail, Safari, and possibly iTunes.

I assumed it would affect iTunes so I moved that up to Applications before doing the update.

Apple will not allow me to re-apply this update so changes to all of the other apps, I will never be able to get.

Frankly, Apple should clearly specify what apps it will update when they issue a security update.

Alternatively and a much better solution, Apple should find where the application is located and update it in place. The OS does this all the time, when I open a file associated with one of those programs. Open an html file and the OS has no trouble finding Safari. The update should be able to do the same.

Jul 3, 2013 8:30 AM in response to plevintampabay

First, you are not talking to Apple here, only other users. I have no desire to get into an argument about whether or not you should or should not be able to place applications in sub-folders, but if you want to get things updated properly, this is how Apple does it and you (and we) have to live with that. Even though one would wish it were otherwise, that items be updated in place, it's completely foolish to state what it should be; this is how it is. Ranting about it here isn't going to change a thing. If you enjoy fruitless exercises and want to bring it to Apple's attention, then submit feeback on it.

https://ssl.apple.com/support/feedback/

I don't see why you can't reapply any update, whatever it is. Just get the standalone from Apple Downloads and reapply--unless of course you've already tried that and, if so, we then need to investigate why it's failing.

http://support.apple.com/downloads/

The latest update affected the App Store, Quick Time, Mail, Safari, and possibly iTunes.

I assumed it would affect iTunes so I moved that up to Applications before doing the update.

That's not this one. Look again at the link I gave you.

I woudn't bother second-guessing Apple on this; it won't change a thing and the sooner you move things where they belong, the sooner you'll get this sorted out.

Jul 3, 2013 8:49 AM in response to WZZZ

Thanks again for the reply.

First -- LOL --

If you enjoy fruitless exercises and want to bring it to Apple's attention, then submit feeback on it.

A sad commentary on Apple, but funny, and I'll take your word for it, that its true.

However since it shouldn't take but a few minutes to submit feedback, I'll look into that - just for the fun of it.

The update that was applied via the update tool (Mac OS telling me that there was an update, and my telling it to go ahead and install it) created new .app directories for the apps I mentioned. Hence I know that the update affected those apps.

Yes I did try to download the .dmg for the update and it failed to install. This was mentioned in my original post. It would be nice to get it to install properly but that might take a lot more time and be equally fruitless 🙂.

Btw the installer I downloaded is dated July 2, 2013, and has a size of 349.5 MB. I do see there is another with the same date and is 424.5 MB. The one that the update tool showed was actually closer to ~320MB so neither of these are an exact match. Interesting there would be 2 updates for the same OS (Snow Leopard) on the same date.

Also btw, the failure I got when trying to install the downloaded update, was that my one and only hard disk did not qualify for the update. No other information was given in the failure.

Jul 3, 2013 8:58 AM in response to plevintampabay

Btw the installer I downloaded is dated July 2, 2013, and has a size of 349.5 MB. I do see there is another with the same date and is 424.5 MB. The one that the update tool showed was actually closer to ~320MB so neither of these are an exact match. Interesting there would be 2 updates for the same OS (Snow Leopard) on the same date.

Just make sure you got the one for SL. Those size differences are normal.

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1670

You might try reapplying the 10.6.8 combo, make sure things are where they belong, and then run the needed updates.

If that doesn't work out, then you will have to reinstall 10.6--that's a plain install, not clean install (that will save all your third-party programs and settings) then run the Combo, and after that continue updating from SU or by way of the standalones.

Problems with security updates and apps in folders

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.