Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Spotlight Search w/in all documents

Hi!

I have a user that migrated from a Windows machine a few years ago. We recently upgraded his Mac again. He used to successfully do a Windows search to find text within 20+ years of documents to successfully find how many times he has used certain phrases, etc.

Spotlight will do this, I know, but it appears to only do this for files opened on the current machine, and it seems to only be files within a certain timeframe. This functional need is very important to how he does his job.

How can we get Spotlight to:

• Search for text within all documents (.doc, .docx, .rtf, .txt and Pages)
  • Regardless of the platform or machine that opened/created
  • Regardless of how old/how recently the file was opened, or modified, or created the file.

If spotlight does not do this, is there an App that does this well that is easy to use (think regular end user who does not understand UNIX commands)?

Thanks in advance for your help.

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4), Spotlight Search

Posted on Jul 3, 2013 7:48 AM

8 replies

Jul 3, 2013 10:05 AM in response to acreason

Search for text within all documents (.doc, .docx, .rtf, .txt and Pages)

It does that automatically, or it should.

Regardless of the platform or machine that opened/created

That's irrelevant, as long as the file type is supported. Unsupported types won't be searched by content.

Regardless of how old/how recently the file was opened, or modified, or created the file.

That's also irrelevant.

Jul 3, 2013 11:57 AM in response to nbar

nbar,

Thank you! I see how that works and it finds things very quickly. The user would have to open Terminal and then the It may be a bit cumbersome since he can't just click on the responses to just open any of those files, which he also does. If the user can't get EasyFind to do what he needs, I will see if he can search this way. He went to a Mac for look and feel and this option doesn't feel very easy. We have to make things easy for the end user.

Jul 3, 2013 1:48 PM in response to acreason

acreason wrote:

nbar,

Thank you! I see how that works and it finds things very quickly. The user would have to open Terminal and then the It may be a bit cumbersome since he can't just click on the responses to just open any of those files, which he also does.

No need to use the command line. That is all available in the Spotlight search and searching in Finder. mdfind is just the command line tool that does the searching.

If the files are stored on external drives, then they would have to be indexed to search for content.

You seem to think it doesn't do what you want it to. Can you please explain the specific things that lead you to believe it won't do what you want?

Spotlight Search w/in all documents

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.