Previous 1 2 Next 16 Replies Latest reply: Aug 8, 2013 4:02 PM by Mike Lincoln
synchronizer Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Hello. The other day, Google changed youtube so that the user's accounts would be linked with Google + user accounts.

Coincidentally, the youtube app on my iPhone 4 with iOS 5.1.1 is not letting me log in anymore. Furthermore, I am unable to search for videos.

Is this Apple's way of forcing users to upgrade to iOS 6? My phone doesn't have enough space (~50 mb left) or processing power to handle iOS 6, so I'd rather not upgrade. I suspect that youtube will only work if I update it to the iOS6 only version though.

Is anyone else experiencing similar difficulties?

iPhone 4 (8GB), iOS 5.1.1
  • jesseandana Level 1 Level 1 (30 points)

Are you using the latest version of the YT app on your iPhone? Make sure you do.

• synchronizer Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I can't since it requires ioS 6, and any updates before the one that requires iOS 6 aren't on the store anymore. I cannot upgrade because my phone only had 6GB capacity from start, and now has fewer than 50 mb left. I have NO music on my phone. I think it's a ridiculous situation.

How large is the iOS update, and how much would it slow my phone?

• jesseandana Level 1 Level 1 (30 points)

This is odd. It seems you are aout of free space on your iPhone due to lots of App data or Photos. Go to Settings > General > Usage and see which apps occupy most space on your iPhone. Delete the ones that you do not need by tapping on the respective app.

It's just that I have a lot of good applications that I have no reason to delete, and many photos that I wish to keep on my phone. If I can find out how much more space is needed for iOS 6, then I can delete files to compensate.

Again, it's an iPhone 4 (a "free" one) that came with way too little space. *GB, but about 6GB with the required software installed.

Does anyone know how well iOS runs on an iPhone 4, and how large the iOS 6 update is?

EDIT: General Settings tells me that I require 2.8GB of available space. That's impossible for me to do. 150mb maybe...

• KiltedTim Level 8 Level 8 (39,745 points)

synchronizer wrote:

Is this Apple's way of forcing users to upgrade to iOS 6?

It has absolutely nothing to do with Apple. It has everything to do with Google.

It's their service. They are the ones who have rendered the oll version of the app useless.

You can easily update your phone to iOS 6 using iTunes on your computer.

From my understanding there's not enough space, according to general > software update. Is it somehow different when the phone is pluged into my computer?

If you update over the air, you need roughly 2.5 times the size of the downlaod available to download, expand, and install the OS update. If you use your computer, it backs it up, wipes it and installs the update, then restores and resyncs your data to it. You can update via iTunes even if the phone is virtually full.

I update iTunes to version 11 to be able to update my iPhone, but now my iPhone doesn't appear in the list of devices.

• bitgeek Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I have an iPhone 4S and an iPad with Retina Display and the YouTube application has stopped working with both of them. I am not sure why, it doesn't work despite me trying it with different Wi-Fi networks and switching to 3G.

And what version of iOS are you running?

• aldwynbrian Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

no idea. how do I find out.

• aldwynbrian Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Same here. Tried everthing known to man. Main computer works fine but no video on ipad.

• Zsled71 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Hi

I had the same experience,i resolved my problem by deleting the the youtube app.

I then downloaded it again from the app store, once installed it asks you to confirm your google id, i chose the one i wanted and hey presto all working as before.

This is on a 3GS with 8GB left of space.

Cheers

Zsled

• apple-VA Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I had the same problem on my 4s running iOS 6. Tried updating the app, and it didn't help. I then tried logging out of my account and signing in again, which solved the problem!!.. working fine now.

Previous 1 2 Next