Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Deceased Brothers 30Gb Ipod Classic found. Contains unseen pictures of him. Can these photos be imported?

I was asked by a coworker to take photos off of their deceased brother's iPod. This is a 30gb iPod Classic and was found amongst discarded items and include before now.....unseen photos of their brother. The family is desperate to get these photos off of the iPod. There are some 4500 photos on this iPod. I suppose these photos are of low resolution, but the family would LOVE them just the same.....

From what I've been able to gleen from Apple, is that photos on an iPod that were not taken by the iPod (iPod Classic cant!!!) are not able to be imported!!!...

There has got to be a way to do this....?????

I will attempt to see if the local Apple Store/Genius can offer some assistance...???

The iPod Classic was formatted for an Apple. I tried to get these photos off the iPod from both my PC and Apple. Both operating systems don't even recognize the iPod as a portable drive. I can access the iPod from my apple.

Any suggestions???

Thanks

Greg

Posted on Jul 3, 2013 8:35 AM

8 replies

Jul 4, 2013 1:38 AM in response to Greg Good

http://manuals.info.apple.com/en_US/iPod_classic_120GB_en.pdf

o add photos from iPod classic to a computer:

1. 1 Connect iPod classic to the computer.
  2. 2 Drag image files from the Photos folder or DCIM folder on iPod classic to the desktop or

to a photo editing application on the computer.

Note: You can also use a photo editing application, such as iPhoto, to add photos stored in the Photos folder. See the documentation that came with the application for more information.

Jul 5, 2013 2:09 PM in response to Michael Allbritton

Michael,

Thanks for the iPod Classic manual pdf...

I have attempted to connect to an iMac and the classic just wants to sync! I cannot transfer any of the photos on the iPod. It really doesn't allow me to much of anything to anything on the iPod classic.

The manual states how to use the iPod classic as an External Disc. Ill give that a try and see if I can transfer the photos onto the iMac...via image transfer or iPhoto...

I've been told that only those photos that have been taken by an iPod (iPod classic doesn't take photos!!) can be transferred to a computer. So all 4000+ photos on this iPod Classic were synced by his computer and can't be imported to another computer!!!...???

Appreciate your reply/time and effort Michael...

I've given the iPod Classic back to the coworker and informed her what I've learned. I advised her to try an Apple Genius at the Apple Store and see if they can help her...

Greg

Jul 8, 2013 4:49 PM in response to Greg Good

As a newcomer may I ask a related question. My son is having similar problems trying to recover photos he took on an iphone then transferred to a classic ipod before wiping his computer because of problems. He can see the photos on the ipod - the pc sees the ipod as an external drive and it contains ithmb files. Windows won't open these files so he can't see them on the pc and can't save them.

I have tried to open the ipod files on my pc and can't do it either

Neither he nor I or computer literate so if Michael or turingtest2 could advise in very simple steps I would be very grateful

Deceased Brothers 30Gb Ipod Classic found. Contains unseen pictures of him. Can these photos be imported?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.