You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using airport extreme as wireless extender

Can I use a second airport extreme as a wireless extender, but with two devices connected by an ethernet cable? Extending by wireless only seems to defeat the purpose.

Mac Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4)

Posted on Jul 3, 2013 9:40 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 3, 2013 11:53 AM

Can I use a second airport extreme as a wireless extender, but with two devices connected by an ethernet cable?

Yes, this is by far the best method to extend a network.

AirPort Setup in Mountain Lion makes the set up a snap. You will be up and running in minutes.

14 replies

Apr 10, 2017 5:32 PM in response to Bob Timmons

I actually don't believe the AirPort Extreme Base Station (AEBS) is completely incompatible with third-party products. I was able to set up an old wireless Linksys G router as a "repeater bridge" and "extend" the network of my AEBS with the same wifi name (SSID), password, and encryption type. Remember that this is without physically connecting the two routers with an Ethernet cable like in a strict "bridge" scenario. I accomplished this with using the guides on DD-WRT.com. They are kind of technical guides, but I just wanted to say that it can be done. Possibly the same can be done with an AEBS to becoming the secondary router and a repeater bridge itself.

Keep in mind that setting up a secondary router like this halves the potential bandwidth top speed because of sending AND receiving the signal. This is explained more on that website. However, as long as your internet speed from your Internet Service Provider (ISP) is under that halved amount there should be no decrease in performance. For example, I pay for unlimited 5 megabits per second (Mbps) download bandwidth (and like 1 Mbps upload). A wireless G-standard router has a potential bandwidth/ throughput of 54 Mbps. Halve that to 25 Mbps and you can see that I can still stream with 5x the bandwidth to spare. However, add a few walls and some distance and that 25 Mbps is probably much less but still strong enough for me to get 5 Mbps download (I actually just confirmed this). That 5 Mbps is enough for two stimulaneous streams of HD from Netflix (two TVs).

Just some things to think about before the next "upgrade" of your cable/internet service. I always like to recycle and reuse old equipment and technology always seems to make this possible if you look hard enough. ;)

Apr 10, 2017 5:59 PM in response to Appleguy514

I actually don't believe the AirPort Extreme Base Station (AEBS) is completely incompatible with third-party products. I was able to set up an old wireless Linksys G router as a "repeater bridge" and "extend" the network of my AEBS with the same wifi name (SSID), password, and encryption type.

But, it is extremely unlikely that you could do things in reverse......set up the AirPort Extreme to wirelessly extend the Linksys product. That was the question that was asked above.

With a lot of tinkering, you might be able to get the AirPort to "join" the wireless network......but the AirPort does not provide any additional wireless signal coverage when it joins a network, so it will be little use in that type of setup. Even the Ethernet ports on the AirPort won't work.

Apr 11, 2017 12:00 AM in response to Bob Timmons

You're right, there are A LOT of limitations with Apple routers. I actually haven't had a chance to try out having the network extended with the AEBS as a secondary with a third-party router as the primary. I was more responding to the claim that "third party routers are incompatible" which even that seems pretty dubious. I was able to get a third-party router to extend so I do think it's possible. While it is not automatic, like I'm sure many Mac users want, I'm sure if you could manually set up the network and get it to perform how you want (with static IPs being used among others). Also, there are ways listed in other threads that have gotten the AEBS to work as a secondary, and you listed one of them, the "Join" method, resetting AEBS to factory settings when you have the primary set up, and getting the router to connect and extend the network that way. I don't think you even need another Apple as the primary router in that scenario. Why do you really need the Ethernet ports then when that effectively does extend the network? Does that really not extend the network?

Anyway, I don't claim to be a networking expert but time and time again I've been able to do things that many people said "could not be done" just because I had the patience to search for the correct info. I will soon be able to test this out and will report back though! I have a new router coming in from my cable company! Be not afraid, where there is a will, there is a way! :)

Side-note: I probably won't be purchasing an Apple router again in the future because of these basic limitations. The flexibility and diagnostics even with the old Linksys G router that have been standard in routers for ages leads me to this conclusion: no VPN passthrough, no ability to prioritize connections - like watching Netflix in HD vs. my kid's YouTube videos, decrease flexibility in airports with the 6.0 update vs. 5.0, etc.). I want a step forward, not a step back. Apple, you've gotta keep up!

Jul 3, 2013 12:12 PM in response to Bob Timmons

The reason I ask is because I am now using a dlink as my primary router and using my extreme as the extender (with cat 5). But, I had to use different network names on the dlink and the extreme. Otherwise, they did not work. So, I effectively have two different network instead of an extended single network. I guess the dlink is messing things up.

Jul 3, 2013 12:17 PM in response to gatorays

Things should work with virtually any brand of router if these elements are implemented:

Same wireless network name on both routers

Same setting for wireless security on both routers

Same wireless network password on both routers

The AirPort Extreme would also need to be configured to operate in Bridge Mode if it is acting as the extender.

Jul 3, 2013 3:58 PM in response to gatorays

I double checked everything, same wireless password and security, bridge mode, extend network, but still getting error. I have seen several posts where this will only work with two airport extremes. My main router is a dlink, hard wired to the airport extreme across the house. I am considering getting the new ac airport extreme and using it as my main router and then using my gen 4 extreme to extend.

Jul 3, 2013 5:37 PM in response to gatorays

I double checked everything, same wireless password and security, bridge mode, extend network,

Things can get confusing since "extend" can mean two different things. One is "extend" using wireless. The other is "extend" using Ethernet.

"Extend network" is not the correct setting if you have an Ethernet connection between the two AirPorts.

The correct setting is "Create a wireless network". The "Extend a wireless network" setting would only be used if the AirPorts were connecting wirelessly. You are using Ethernet.

Suggest that you let AirPort Setup configure things for you literally automatically. Then you don't need to worry about manual settings. It is a lot easier than you might imagine. Post back if you are sure how to do this.

Jul 30, 2013 7:42 AM in response to gatorays

I have a similar question, related.

I have a new Airport Time Capsule set up and running. My old Airport Extreme is sitting unused. I'd like to hook it up because I can't get a USB drive to work off of the TC (according to posts here it requires a powered hub). Also wouldn't mind setting up different transmitters in different parts of the house (we have thick brick walls).

Is this a good idea? Any reason why it wouldn't work?

Assuming it is good, how do I do it? Please tell me steps in terms a non-geek can understand. I do know my way around the Airport Utility, including the submenus. Since the TC is new, I could start over with the settings.

Should I connect Ethernet cable from Verizon router > TC > Extreme? Or a separate Ethernet to each? I can do either.

Thanks in advance,

Steve

Nov 20, 2014 10:52 AM in response to Stevee00

I have the set up you're trying to accomplish and It works great! The reason I used my AE once I got a TC is to extend my wireless network and allow the use of a Dell laser printer with NIC located in the lower part of my house. Good luck!

Per Bob Timmons:

"Things can get confusing since "extend" can mean two different things. One is "extend" using wireless. The other is "extend" using Ethernet.

"Extend network" is not the correct setting if you have an Ethernet connection between the two AirPorts.

The correct setting is "Create a wireless network". The "Extend a wireless network" setting would only be used if the AirPorts were connecting wirelessly. You are using Ethernet.

Suggest that you let AirPort Setup configure things for you literally automatically. Then you don't need to worry about manual settings. It is a lot easier than you might imagine. Post back if you are sure how to do this."

Apr 15, 2015 6:21 AM in response to Ruben MZ

Someone else told me that an AEBS cannot be configured to act as a wireless repeater or access point. Here is my situation.

I want to take the AEBS and put it in another room in my house to EXTEND the wireless coverage. This means the AEBS would join the existing network and be connected to the Linksys router through WIRELESS. The LAN ports are disabled on the AEBS. I want to them to be active so I can use them. That is the purpose of buying the AEBS. Here is an illustration.

Garage (Cable Modem and Linksys Router)

Office (Airport Extreme Base Station. Computer and printer would be connected to the LAN ports to provide network/internet connectivity).

I don't want to physically put the AEBS in the garage and have it directly connected to the router. That is pointless. I need directions on HOW to make the AEBS an access point and the LAN ports are active.

I would like Bob Timmons to comment on my situation.

Apr 15, 2015 8:07 PM in response to pfisher112

Someone else told me that an AEBS cannot be configured to act as a wireless repeater or access point.

What someone told you was correct if you are asking about connecting the AEBS to a third party wireless router using a wireless connection.

I want to take the AEBS and put it in another room in my house to EXTEND the wireless coverage. This means the AEBS would join the existing network and be connected to the Linksys router through WIRELESS. The LAN ports are disabled on the AEBS. I want to them to be active so I can use them. That is the purpose of buying the AEBS.

The AEBS would not be compatible with a Linksys product....or any other third party product for that matter......for what you want to do.

I need directions on HOW to make the AEBS an access point and the LAN ports are active.

This is not possible if you need to connect the AEBS to a third party wireless network using a wireless connection.

The AEBS could do what you want if it connects to the Linksys router using a permanent wired Ethernet cable connection. If you cannot run the Ethernet cable, then a pair of Ethernet Over Powerline (EOP) adapters, also called HomePlug adapters might be able to send the signal over the AC powerlines in your home.

The theory with these devices is that you already have the wiring in place.....you just need the adapters. Unfortunately, things don't always work quite as well as the theory might suggest, so if you decide to try a pair of adapters, it would be wise to have a clear understanding of the store's return policy before you buy.

Using airport extreme as wireless extender

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.