Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Upgrade at iMac

Hi,

I intend to buy an iMac and I want to know if I can upgrade memory or hdd, after a while, in Apple service with extra cost?

Thanks!

iMac

Posted on Jul 3, 2013 2:51 PM

9 replies

Jul 3, 2013 4:44 PM in response to elenoc

AppleCare, in general, only covers hardware, software failures and accidental damages to existing hardware.

Any hardware failure, AppleCare will replace any failed existing hardware, but WILL NOT pay for an upgrade for a particular failed hardware component.

AppleCare is warranty protection against the iMac's original purchased configuration, only.

Apple grants only one free, complimentary year of AppleCare warranty repair/replacement service.

Within the first free year of warranty service, Apple grants you the option to purchase and register for extended AppleCare warranty service that gives you two more years of free component repair/replacement service.

The costs of the extended warranty is a fraction of what a real repair/replacement will cost you out of your pocket.

You will pay for any upgrades or alterations to the Mac you purchase and own.

That stated, the only upgrades you can make to an iMac (27 inch screen models only) is the RAM and hard drive/fusion drive or SSD.

The CPU and GPU ARE NOT upgradeable after purchase.

You need to choose the right CPU and GPU options, that will meet your present and future needs, at the time of purchase.

You can purchase a 27 inch screen iMac model with base RAM and install cheaper third party RAM yourself in the future. Third party Mac RAM suppliers have completely compatible Mac RAM that is a lot less expensive than what Apple charges for their own RAM.

Correct and reliable Mac RAM can be purchased from online Mac RAM sources Crucial memory or OWC (macsales.com).

Upgrade at iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.