Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Clamshell mode not working even after powering off and reconnecting display; external monitor goes black anyway

After connecting an external monitor (non-Mac) to my MacBook (Mac OSX 10.6.6) w/proper adaptor, setting up to use clamshell mode as per manual, the external still goes black even after putting MacBook to sleep, disconnecting and reconnecting external and powering up again as suggested in Support. Displays are set to Mirror. Also, when I open Displays in System preferences, 2 different windows for Resolution settings appear. Where have I gone wrong? This monitor (Viewsonic) came with it's own software for setup on a Windows PC, but of course it is not being used on the MacBook.

Any help would be appreciated!

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.6.6), iPhone 4, iPad

Posted on Jul 3, 2013 4:53 PM

3 replies

Jul 4, 2013 8:22 AM in response to SeaPapp

Hi Mike,

Yes I followed all the procedueres....except for waking the computer using a keyboard click. For obvious reasons one is just inclined to open the top of the MacBook to wake it when the external goes dark...I did that twice, until I realized that very last step was needed to 'wake' it. It worked. Something so simple, easy to overlook I guess.

I did leave the monitors mirrored, fyi, if I don't then all I can access from the external are the resolution settings. This Viewsonic comes pre-loaded with Windows software of it's own and doesn't quite behanve the way my previous external did, but I got it figured out.

Thanks for your response, tho!

Clamshell mode not working even after powering off and reconnecting display; external monitor goes black anyway

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.