Previous 1 2 Next 15 Replies Latest reply: Jan 9, 2014 11:52 PM by SuperfastGranny Branched to a new discussion.
tomfromaz Level 1 (0 points)

New hard drive is not recognized by my MacBook Pro. The supplier says I need to update my BIOS. True? How do I do that?

Hard drive: NN2-72-500-SSE Seagate Momentus 7200.4 (ST9500423AS) 500GB Laptop Hard Drive

Mac OS: Mac OS X Lion 10.7.5

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.2)
  • OGELTHORPE Level 8 (45,188 points)

Does it show up in Disk Utility?

Ciao.

• tomfromaz Level 1 (0 points)

When it prompts me to install the OS, the hard drive doesn't appear in the window - the window is blank. I put the original hard drive back into confirm that it it reading correctly and the old hard drive showed up.

Must the OS be installed for Disk Utility to work?

By the way, this is a MacBook, not a MacBook Pro.

• thelightbulbsun Level 1 (10 points)

I went through a similar issue with a Seagate Momentus 750GB HDD/8GB SSD with my late-2011 MBP.  No matter what I tried, the machine would not recognize the drive.

To test it, I installed the drive in an old ThinkPad, and it worked fine.  Then I tried installing it in my PS3, and the drive worked fine there, too.  It was only the MBP which had issues.

I don't *think* Macs have a BIOS to update.  But I know my MBP has issues with certain HDD's (including another external which works fine on other Macs and all Windows machines).

You might be able to find my thread by searching under my username, perhaps something in there will offer a tip.  Otherwise, you might have to go the same route I did: install a WD Scorpio Black instead.  Or upgrade to an SSD.

Good luck to you-

• OGELTHORPE Level 8 (45,188 points)

If I am understanding you correctly, you replaced your old HDD with the new one inside the Macbook.

Before you installed the new HDD into your Macbook, did you format it?  If you did not, it will not work.

Ciao.

• Grant Bennet-Alder Level 9 (56,679 points)

I don't *think* Macs have a BIOS to update.

They don't use BIOS in battery-backed RAM, they use an entire EFI partition on the Hard Drive. So a new drive Must be partitioned for GUID Partition map, and a Mac OS X extended, journaled Volume.

If you have a Time machine backup from 10.7.4 or later, it contains a Recovery_HD that can be used first to Erase or Partition the drive, then to download Mac OS X 10.7 or later IF you already bought it or it came on your Mac. and finally to install Mac OS X 10.7 or later.

Hold down Alt/Option at startup to access it.

If using a 10.6 DVD:

Boot to the Installer/Utilities DVD, but do not install.

Answer only the "what Language" question and wait for the MenuBar to be drawn.

Choose Disk Utility off a Menu and erase or partition the Hard drive.

GUID partition Map and Mac OS X extended, journaled, should be the defaults.

• ds store Level 7 (30,325 points)

tomfromaz wrote:

Seagate Momentus

Search the Apple forums here for

"Seagate Momentus disaster" long thread about this particular drive.

• Csound1 Level 8 (46,982 points)

ds store wrote:

Search the Apple forums here for

"Seagate Momentus disaster" long thread about this particular drive.

That thread is about a different Seagate drive,  Hybrid drive (750XT) which the OP does not have.

If the old drive will boot, you can use the download described in this article to copy the Recovery_HD onto a new USB thumb drive. Then you can use that thumb drive Recovery_HD to boot your MacBook and format the blank drive. Then you can install.

OS X: About Recovery Disk Assistant

tomfromaz wrote:

New hard drive is not recognized by my MacBook Pro. The supplier says I need to update my BIOS. True?

The supplier is incorrect, that drive is fully compatible with OSX. Let's investigate further.

Do you have the original discs that came with your MacBook?

• tomfromaz Level 1 (0 points)

I do but am currently running Snow Leopard. (This is actually for a Macbook, not MacBook Pro.)

Some here have indicated that the hard drive should first formatted/partitioned.

"If you have a Time machine backup from 10.7.4 or later, it contains a Recovery_HD that can be used first to Erase or Partition the drive, then to download Mac OS X 10.7 or later IF you already bought it or it came on your Mac. and finally to install Mac OS X 10.7 or later.

Hold down Alt/Option at startup to access it."

I have a Time Machine backup. Do you concur?

Not yet,

I would boot up from the original OSX installation disc, select Disk Utility (from the tools menu) and check whether or not it is present, post back.

when you boot to the 10.6 DVD, answer only the "what Language" question, and do not proceed. Wait a quarter minute for the menuBar to be drawn, the choose Disk Utility of one of those menus.

If you make a mistake and proceed, you are on the path to Installation, and Utilities are no longer available. In that case you will have to start over

OK, thanks.

Previous 1 2 Next