Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sharing firewire and other volumes in Mac OS 10.4.6

I currently have an external firewire hard drive connected to my Mac mini, and I was wondering how I would share those volumes across the network when I am booted into Mac OS Tiger. I would like to be able to see my firewire drive and XP partition on my iBook also running Tiger, but when I go to authenticate into my Mac mini, I only have the option to mount my Macintosh HD and another volume that is my user name. When I boot into Windows XP and create the network share, I have no problem seeing any external drives, so why can't I do this in Mac OS X on my mini when I am connecting using another OS X machine, which would be my iBook? I would really like to be able to see my partitions besides the built in Macintosh HD volume so I can sit on my sofa and watch movies and videos that are on my mini. Currently I have Personal File Sharing, Windows Sharing, and Remote Login enabled on both machines, so I'm guessing I'm just missing something real simple here. Thank you.

14.1 iBook G4 1 GHz, 640 MB, 60 GB, APX; Mac mini Core Duo, 1 GB, 80 GB, Mac OS X (10.4.6), iPod Nano 4 GB (Black)

Posted on Jun 8, 2006 5:54 PM

3 replies

Jun 8, 2006 7:51 PM in response to Niel

Thank you for the link to the program, and I will install it if I have to, it's just that I don't like the idea of having to install third-party software for something that should be built into the operating system. I can't believe Apple would miss something as simple as this, where sharing an external volume is essentially point and click in Windows. What I'm asking for I suppose is the official "Apple" solution to this, but if SharePoints is the only way to do this sort of thing, then I guess that's what I have to do. Thank you.

Jun 9, 2006 12:30 AM in response to Corey Arakaki

With Windows file sharing enabled you have all the necessary software up and running. Windows file sharing is not part of the OS but provided by an application called "Samba", if you are fine with editing a config file then adding so called shares is simply a matter of adding a few lines.

The configuration is done in /etc/smb.conf, the first few lines of this file refer you to further documentation.

Read the documentation just to make sure that you don't share your files with everybody else on the network.

Mario

Mac Mini Mac OS X (10.4.6) Core Duo / 2GB

Sharing firewire and other volumes in Mac OS 10.4.6

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.