Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook pro mid 2012 is not recognizing I tb internal HDD

I recently purchased a mid-2012 15'' macbook pro, 2.3 ghz, 500 gb HDD, 4 gb RAM. I took it into a service last weekend to have it upgraded to 8 gb RAM, 250 GB SSD Samsung, and a 1 TB HDD HITACHI 5400 rpm. Everything was fine until yesterday when suddenly the computer stopped recognizing the I tb HDD. You can see it in disk utility but the disk drive is just shaded gray. This morning I noticed that when I start the computer with only the battery it doesnt recongize the HDDD but when the charger is plugged in and start the computer the disk is recongized but a window pops up saying that I can access the files that are on the disk but no changes can be made and nothing can be saved onto the disk. It also says the disk needs to be reformatted as soon as possible. Could this be the SATA cable problem? Or a power shortage? Or something with the motherboard?

MacBook Pro

Posted on Jul 3, 2013 7:44 PM

6 replies

Macbook pro mid 2012 is not recognizing I tb internal HDD

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.