Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MBP suddenly won't recognize Dell projector

Hi friends-

I am hoping there's a simple answer to this one.

I run a Dell 1100MP projector off my MacBook Pro (2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo). I use a RCA cable out of the projector into a RCA to DVI adapter purchased a tthe Mac Store.

The last time I used the setup was in mid-March, when it worked as pefrectly as it always has. This weekend it failed, and I tried again and it failed.

On rare occasions in the past I've plugged the DVI cable in and after a few minutes without inter-device communication I've un- and re-plugged the DVI cable and then everything worked. That has really only happened maybe twice out of several hundred uses.

My best guess is something changed with a software update, but I don't know how to diagnose or overcome the change.

The only noticeable difference is in the past when I've plugged in the DVI cable, the MBP screen resolution has changed after a brief grey-out. Now there's a bref grey-out but no screen resolution change, and the projector keeps saying "looking for input."

I have done some searching on this and the only thing I've found that seemed related had to do with the MBP resoultion output being too high for the projector. The sugegstion was to manually reduce the resolution and check the mirroring box. My box was already checked and I tried every different resolution/aspect ration option, none of whch worked.

Any input would be appreciated. Not only was this an embarrasement in front of a group of doctor-peers, more importantly my 4-year old got screwed out of movie night 😉

Thanks in advance!

Matthew

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Jul 4, 2013 8:02 AM

3 replies

Jul 6, 2013 11:31 AM in response to ninthname

Hi ninthname!

I have an article here for you that should be able to walk you though some troubleshooting steps for this issue:

Apple computers: Troubleshooting issues with video on internal or external displays

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1573

Keep in mind that in the course of troubleshooting this issue, you may need to troubleshoot any cables or adaptors you are using as well. If the steps in the article do not help you resolve the issue, then you may need to follow the suggestions at the end of the article:

Helpful related articles

These articles may offer additional assistance and information about displays and video adapters:

If you tried all of these steps for your display and the video issues persist, contact Apple technical support or take your Apple computer to the nearest Apple Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider (AASP) for diagnosis. If you plan to visit an Apple Retail Store, make a reservation at the Genius Bar using http://www.apple.com/retail/geniusbar/ (available in some countries only).

Take care, and thanks for visiting the Apple Support Communities.

-Braden

Jul 7, 2013 1:40 PM in response to braden85

Thanks, Braden.

I tried everything you linked me to, with only one useful result. During PRAM reset the desktop became visible on the projector - but afterward there was again no conenction.

Not only that, but the PRAM reset didn't do what the Apple directions you linked me to said they should - the machine didn't restart after the initial chime, instead it went to a grey utility screen with options like looking for solutions online or starting disk utility. Hopefully it just means the page you linked me to needs to be updated and is for an older OS version.

Incidentally, Safe Mode never came online with the other process - it showed an extended grey apple screen with a load bar along the bottom and once the bar was loaded the computer shut down. I'm hoping this is also normal with the current OS and the page you linked me to was outdated.

This machine came back from Apple about two months ago with almost every part replaced, so it seems unlikely that there is something I need them for. I hope not as I live three hours from the nearest one and mailing it in takes a while.

Ideas?

Thanks.

MBP suddenly won't recognize Dell projector

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.