Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

software update does not work after re-install of 10.6.8

I re-installed my system software, upgraded to 10.6.8, restored from time machine and now when I use my software update it says "failed cannot connect to the internet." I checked and I am connected. I did download and install a "combo update" that I found through the apple communities. My itunes also needs to be updated and my internet is very slow. I use an airport and it is only this mac that is slow the rest of the devises in the house are fine. Please help!

Mac Pro 2 x 3 Ghz Duel Core Intel, Mac OS X (10.4.11), 6 GB RAM

Posted on Jul 4, 2013 10:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 4, 2013 11:05 AM

Move these two files to the Trash (don't empty!)

~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.SoftwareUpdate.plist

/Library/Preferences/com.apple.SoftwareUpdate.plist

Then log out and back in or restart and try Software Update again. If this fails to solve the problem use File>Put Back from the Trash.

The first is in your home folder library. The second is at the second level of the hard drive library. (DO NOT go into /System/Library.) Both are in Preferences.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 4, 2013 11:05 AM in response to celton

Move these two files to the Trash (don't empty!)

~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.SoftwareUpdate.plist

/Library/Preferences/com.apple.SoftwareUpdate.plist

Then log out and back in or restart and try Software Update again. If this fails to solve the problem use File>Put Back from the Trash.

The first is in your home folder library. The second is at the second level of the hard drive library. (DO NOT go into /System/Library.) Both are in Preferences.

software update does not work after re-install of 10.6.8

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.