Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sending messages fails with "This task will fail. A console user is not logged in on"

I'm not able to send a message without receiving the "This task will fail. A console user is not logged in on <server>". I'm admin and have all boxes checked under "Remote Management" options in System Preferences. Am I missing something really basic here???

Posted on Jul 4, 2013 2:44 PM

12 replies

Jul 7, 2013 3:47 PM in response to Brian S. Campbell

I should also mention I'm running v3.6.1 of ARD on all computers on OS X 10.8.4. Also, another computer on the same network with the same remote management settings allowed me to send a message without fail. Are there other unrelated settings that I should be looking at? The firewall on both machines is disabled, they're both online via the same WAP (AirPort TimeCapsule)...

Jul 24, 2013 2:36 PM in response to Brian S. Campbell

Have you tried restarting ARDAgent on the effected clients?

send unix command as root user

/System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/ARDAgent.app/Contents/Resources/ki ckstart -restart -agent

Have you tried resetting ARDAgent Settings on an effected client?

send unix command as root user

/System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/ARDAgent.app/Contents/Resources/ki ckstart -activate -configure -access -on -restart -agent -privs -all

Have you tried deleting the effected client from ARD and re-adding it?

Aug 5, 2013 9:10 PM in response to Brian S. Campbell

Well i've sucesfuly used safeboot on imacs connect to the network by ethernet. And still have been able to connect to them after they safebooted. of corse of the imac gets stuck booting, I would have to go rescue the machine.

But I can't vouch that this works with every mac. And i've never tried it on computer connected over airport.

Is there a machine near by with the issue that you can walk to safeboot? OR at least another machine of the same make/model with the same os to test safeboot with?

Sending messages fails with "This task will fail. A console user is not logged in on"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.