Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Modified finder toolbar not appearing on all finder windows

I like to add a trash, a get info, and a label icon to my finder toolbar.

I'm running the latest Mountain Lion on a dual quad Mac Pro.

For some reason, when I add them to the currently open window, the setting is not found on all my finder windows. What am I doing wrong? I thought this is the way it usually behaves.

Posted on Jul 4, 2013 1:03 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 4, 2013 1:34 PM

That is the way mine behaves.

Hold down the option key while using the Finder Go To Folder command. Enter ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.finder.plist. Move the .plist to your desktop.

Relaunch Finder (command - option - esc and force quit) and test. If it works okay, delete the plist(s) from the desktop. You may have to use Customize Toolbar again.

If the same, return the .plist to where you got it from, overwriting the newer ones.

If you prefer to make your user library permanently visible, use the Terminal command found below.

http://osxdaily.com/2011/07/04/show-library-directory-in-mac-os-x-lion/

You might want to bookmark the command. I had to use it again after I installed 10.8.4. I have also been informed that if you drag the user library to Finder it will remain visible.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 4, 2013 1:34 PM in response to Donald_Grahame

That is the way mine behaves.

Hold down the option key while using the Finder Go To Folder command. Enter ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.finder.plist. Move the .plist to your desktop.

Relaunch Finder (command - option - esc and force quit) and test. If it works okay, delete the plist(s) from the desktop. You may have to use Customize Toolbar again.

If the same, return the .plist to where you got it from, overwriting the newer ones.

If you prefer to make your user library permanently visible, use the Terminal command found below.

http://osxdaily.com/2011/07/04/show-library-directory-in-mac-os-x-lion/

You might want to bookmark the command. I had to use it again after I installed 10.8.4. I have also been informed that if you drag the user library to Finder it will remain visible.

Jul 4, 2013 1:43 PM in response to Eric Root

Thanks for the speedy answer! When I looked in that folder, there were a lot of older corrupted apple.finder.plists in it with slightly different annotated names too...

I'm thinking I need to somehow boot from another drive, and run rebuilding the permissions on my boot drive just to clean things up, something is obviously a bit off on it at the moment.

Modified finder toolbar not appearing on all finder windows

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.