Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhoto All events collapsed into a single event dated 1969

A friend had all her iPhoto events arranged and orgainzed... until about a week ago, when everything collapsed into one event covering the birth of Unix in 1969 until last week.

This is a disaster... googling around turned up a distressing number of people thinking iPhoto '11 is the culprit. Going back in Time Maching didn't rebulid the database...

I'd be inclined to blame a hardware issue given the date involved but her system time is OK and points to the Apple time server, also there were no other issues at the time in question.

As a last resort we're trying a database rebuild... had to leave before it completed. There are a lot of photos involved.

This is bad... please someone tell me it's easily fixable.

Posted on Jul 4, 2013 1:36 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 4, 2013 1:42 PM

Most likely cause is user error - solution is to restore a copy of the iPhoto library from before it occured

Going back in Time Maching didn't rebulid the database...

No idea what you mean here - TM doess not "rebuild" anything - it restores a previous version of a file - in this case the iPhoto library package

a database rebuild is probably not the solution

you also can select the "big" event and use autosplit selected event command to split it according to the preference settings

LN

14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 4, 2013 1:42 PM in response to Mr. Fazookus

Most likely cause is user error - solution is to restore a copy of the iPhoto library from before it occured

Going back in Time Maching didn't rebulid the database...

No idea what you mean here - TM doess not "rebuild" anything - it restores a previous version of a file - in this case the iPhoto library package

a database rebuild is probably not the solution

you also can select the "big" event and use autosplit selected event command to split it according to the preference settings

LN

Jul 5, 2013 6:59 AM in response to Mr. Fazookus

Time Machine backes up everything (unless you tell it not to) - but you can not restore just the database -

You do not select something inside the library - you select the iphoto library - it must always be kept intact and treated as a single entity

You must restore the iPhoto library intact as a single entity - you can not work with parts of it in any way

LN

Jul 5, 2013 9:00 AM in response to Old Toad

Tried 'keep both', still complained about permissions and left me with a zero byte iPhoto Library and a 'iPhoto Library (original)' of the right size but without the iPhoto Library icon...

iPhoto works, and holding option while starting iPhoto gives me an option to select 'other library', which is there, even if I rename the 'origional' library it still shows the original name as default, presumably metadata?

Or a nasty ACL issue, I don't know.

iPhoto All events collapsed into a single event dated 1969

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.