Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Lack of GoPro support

I was very dissapointed to find out today that I just wasted $20 on purchasing iMovie to import and edit videos directly from my GoPro.

The GoPro uses standard MP4 file format - iMovie won't even aknowledge the files exist on my computer.

This is basic functionality and is inherently expected with video editing software I pay money for.

No file conversion is necessary as MP4 is a standard format and all other programs can read the files. What is needed is correct software development. I will not be downloading a file format converter, I will be switching to other software.

More and more I find myself limited by what I can do with Apple software (and their hardware these days, too, disposable $3k iPhoneBook Pro's). So far every piece of Apple software I've tried (and a good long trial run, too, years not days) has fallen far short of my basic expectations.

These days I tend to find myself booting into Windows to do basic tasks.

To validate this post as a question:

I am NOT looking for a file converter.

Does anyone know of the ACTUAL solution for getting iMovie to recognize MP4 - such as a missing codec or hotfix where Apple realized their error and fixed it?

iMovie '11, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4), GoPro Hero 3 HD Black Edition

Posted on Jul 4, 2013 3:18 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 4, 2013 3:59 PM

How are you going about importing?

I have no trouble pulling files in directly to iMovie from the SD card from my HD Hero once I stick the card in my iMac.

Matt

Message was edited by: Matthew Morgan

3 replies

Jul 8, 2013 12:12 PM in response to Matthew Morgan

Thanks for your message - it tipped me off as to what was going on.

It seems that if i import directly WITH iMovie it will recognize the files, however if i import using Image Capture or Lightroom, iMovie will refuse to open the file.

This is a minor inconvenience moving forward, but a pain in the butt that I will have to manually convert all my previuos recordings to get iMovie to aknowledge them.

Lack of GoPro support

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.