3 Replies Latest reply: Sep 20, 2013 7:21 PM by beatleboy
beatleboy Level 1 (0 points)

I've been considering buying a Toshiba 240GB 1.8" MK2431GAH Hard Drive for my 4th gen iPod Photo.  Does anyone have any information about this product and if it will work?  Would I have to also get a thicker back panel?

• Krayos Level 1 (10 points)

Hello, The Toshiba MK2431GAH will only work in

a) 5th Generation iPod Video (I do not advise using it in the 30gb model)

b) iPod Classic 160gb (The thin model made since 2009 & still in production)

it will not work in other models....................

• Kenichi Watanabe Level 7 (32,872 points)

And the reason is because the connector on the later versions of the Toshiba 1.8-inch hard drives is different.

The older type that works with your iPod goes up to 60GB.  There are two physical sizes, base on whether the drive has one platter or two platters, and these correspond to the "thick" and "thin" iPod back panels.

I have a 4th gen iPod with a standard compact flash card for storage, which replaces the hard drive through an adapter.  I believe it's this one, or one like it

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Compact-Flash-CF-SSD-To-Toshiba-IPod-1-8-inch-Adapte r-Black-/121174875639

It fits in the "thin" back panel.  The only modification I needed to make was bending over the pair of "jumper" pins that sets it for master or slave (needs to be set for master).  Currently, I only have an 8GB CF card in there, but it works great.  At some point, I may get a 64GB CF card for it.  Solid state storage is much better than a hard drive for everything except sheer capacity.

• beatleboy Level 1 (0 points)

Thank you, Krayos & Kenichi.  Both of your answers were extremely helpful.  Kenichi, I will look further into a flash drive using your link as a starting point.  thanks again.