Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Trying to buy OS X Tiger for my Power Mac

I no longer have my installation CD for my Power Mac G3. Can I just buy an OS X 10 CD from ebay and use it to wipe out and re-install the OS on my computer? It says it is once licence, how do I know it hasn't already been used?

PowerMac, Mac OS X (10.2.x)

Posted on Jul 4, 2013 7:46 PM

15 replies

Jul 4, 2013 10:53 PM in response to Jumble96

If this is the Blue and White G3 tower, before installing OS X 10.4 Tiger, you need to run a Firmware update for this Mac. Not sure how to locate this for you on Apple's website because any older links to the firmware updated software no longer work.

You need this firmware update.

PM G3 (Blue and White) Firmware Update 1.1

IF your PowerMac G3 is a beige G3, the highest OS X version you can install without special helper software is OS X 10.2 Jaguar.

OS X 10.3 Panther can be installed with the help of this app. OS X 10.3.9 Panther is really, real world end of line for OS X versions to be installed. OS X 10.4 Tiger will not work with beige color PowerMac G3 models.

http://eshop.macsales.com/osxcenter/xpostfacto/

Jul 5, 2013 10:13 AM in response to Jumble96

Jumble96 wrote:

I was told my computer would run up to 10.4.11. And it is a retail disk.

If your PowerMac is an older beige box PowerMac G3, then whoever told you this was false.

With minimal hassle, the beige G3 can go as far as 10.3.9 Panther.

Theoretically, a beige G3 may be made to run OS X 10.4 Tiger, but , if memory serves, there are a lot of hoops and workarounds to get it installed. And once installed, it will not run or operate very well as much of the neccessary hardware isn't there to support OS X 10.4.

Jul 5, 2013 4:57 PM in response to Jumble96

Yes, your PowerMac G3 is called the Blue and White model.

You can use that disc.

Looks good!

I am not sure, but you may need another OS version to be able to run the firmware update.

You may need to find a Mac OS 9.2.1 or Mac OS 9.2.2 disc, install this OS first, then download and run the firmware update.

Check the instructions to make sure.

Here is the other OS disk you may need.

http://www.amazon.com/Apple-Mac-OS-9-2-1/dp/B001DBGRRK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=13 73067905&sr=8-1&keywords=Mac+OS+9

Once the Firmware has been updated you can use the OS X 10.4 Tiger disc to install OS X right over the previous OS.

Good Luck!

Trying to buy OS X Tiger for my Power Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.