Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can you use a deactivated iphone still?

Ok,so i am going to upgrade to an iphone 5 and i currently have a iphone 4 i want to restore it and then give it to my son to use just over wifi. Can i restore it and still get passed the activation screen if the sim card is deactivated???

Posted on Jul 4, 2013 8:42 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 4, 2013 8:45 PM

Wipe iPhone/iPad/iPod touch clean

There are a few steps to do:

Switch off iMessage in Settings > Messages

Switch off FaceTime in Settings > FaceTime (iPod touch 4th Generation or later, iPhone 4 or later and iPad 2 or later)

Delete iCloud in Settings > iCloud > Delete Account

Finally Settings > General > Reset > Erase All Content and Settings.

Un-register your device: https://supportprofile.apple.com

Now you can sell/give.

Can i restore it and still get passed the activation screen if the sim card is deactivated???

You need a sim whether it's active or not to activate.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 4, 2013 8:45 PM in response to Hunter18228

Wipe iPhone/iPad/iPod touch clean

There are a few steps to do:

Switch off iMessage in Settings > Messages

Switch off FaceTime in Settings > FaceTime (iPod touch 4th Generation or later, iPhone 4 or later and iPad 2 or later)

Delete iCloud in Settings > iCloud > Delete Account

Finally Settings > General > Reset > Erase All Content and Settings.

Un-register your device: https://supportprofile.apple.com

Now you can sell/give.

Can i restore it and still get passed the activation screen if the sim card is deactivated???

You need a sim whether it's active or not to activate.

Nov 6, 2014 7:53 AM in response to Hunter18228

I have the same question.

I have an old iPhone 3GS sitting around collecting dust. This morning I saw the phone can be re purposed to use for games, camera, etc. According to a forum thread I found, I have to do the following:

1) Insert the SIM card from the new or current phone into the old iPhone

2) Connect the old phone to iTunes on a computer connected to the internet

--->Once iTunes activates the device you're free to use the iPhone as if it were an iPod touch.

I've never used an iPod touch. I want to be able to download a free app (or two) and connect it to my current phone via wifi. Here are my questions:

How do I download an app to the old phone without syncing my library to it?

After the app(s) are installed, do I simply unplug the phone, remove the SIM card and re-insert into my current phone and all is good?

*Notes. I did not upgrade my iPhone 4G software during the last update earlier this year. I have kept up to date with iTunes. My old iPhone is running on software from 4 or 5 years ago.

Can you use a deactivated iphone still?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.