Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

short apple menu problem

Hi all,

I am battling a problem that my Apple Menu is modified and contains just a few entry's.

I am missing entry's like System Settings etc.

Is there a way to reset this?

iMac

Posted on Jul 5, 2013 2:20 AM

16 replies

Jul 6, 2013 1:14 AM in response to clintonfrombirmingham

I know what you mean but come on, it is a user setting and I just do not want to loose my preferences of other stuf. I can just create another account and move my stuf to solve it. That would be quite simple to do but again I like to keep my current preferences.

I still hope it is something like removing a preference and a logout or reboot...

Jul 6, 2013 1:32 AM in response to PeterWeter

Since the Apple menu does show correcty from a different user account, there is something in your current account interfereing.

Do you see the correct Apple menu, when you boot into Safe Mode?

Mac OS X: Starting up in Safe Mode

• If yes, then probably one of your start-up items or a preference pane, that you are only activating from your current user acoount might be interfering. Do you have any traces of haxies like "Fruit menu" left? Disable all non-standard preference panes in your User Preferences and remove non-Apple startup items.
  • If Safe Boot Mode does not help, I'd try to temporaryly move all user preferences from the Preferences folder in you home folder to a folder on your Desktop, force quit the Finder (or log off and on), and check, if that brings the correct Apple menu back. If yes, try to put back more and more of your preferences, until you find the culprit.

Regards

Léonie

Jul 6, 2013 5:40 AM in response to léonie

Yessss !

I moved in [homedir]/Library/Preferences all *.plist files to a temp folder and logged in under my account.

I had to go through the 'Log in with your iCloud account' as a new user and my desktop was default with the normal Apple Menu. Next I moved all plist files back and logged out and back in again. All was the same (as far I can tell now) but the Apple Menu is normal now.

Thanks for your help !! 🙂

Have a great weekend !

short apple menu problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.