Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS devices not loading shared media library to the end

I am having this problem for some time by now - but it did not appear shortly after any iOS update! Now what is the trouble?

I am using my iPad 3 and my iPhone 5 (newest iOS on both) alongside an Apple TV 3, a Mac mini Server and a MacBook Pro (newest OS X). The Server hosts my media library, private sharing activated by using my Apple ID. Sometimes (not always) I am sharing my library with the same Apple ID on My MacBook Pro to my home network, too. Both Macs can see and use the other Mac's shared library without any troubles - so this works. The Apple TV 3 also can connect to both libraries (though I am using the Server's much more often than the MacBook Pro's).

Neither on my iPad nor on my iPhone I can get the home shared media library loaded in complete by using the apps

"Music" and "Video".

The small loading circle symbol just stops after about 50 % and then nothing happens furthermore no matter how long I am waiting:

User uploaded file

The only thing I can do afterwards is to force quit "Music" and / or "Videos" app, restart those and trying again, still leaving me the already described 50 % and nothing else.

What is strange about that:

"Remote" app to Apple TV and my Macs and "AirPlay" to the Apple TV just work fine. "Remote" app connects to my Apple TV and my Macs without any troubles. But "Videos" and "Music" can not load the shared library to complete. It does not matter to which Mac I am connecting (to be more exact: to which shared library). All iOS devices "see" the shared libraries, seem to connect to them at the beginning but just to refuse to load more than 50 % - and doing anything else afterwards. To make it even more strange both iOS devices were able to load everything to the end some time ago. I am not sure if there was an iOS update available in between anymore, but there definetly was an iTunes update in between!

So what I already tried (not in that order described here):

• Stopping and restarting home sharing on my Macs using the initial Apple ID account.
  • Stopping and restarting home sharing on both Macs using another Apple ID account (and adapting the iOS devices info accordingly).
  • Using different Apple ID accounts on both Macs at the same time for home sharing.
  • Logged off and re-logged back into iTunes Store Account on my Macs and iOS devices.
  • Re-configured my sharing on my iOS devices using those two already mentioned accounts.
  • Re-initialization of the complete iTunes libray on my Mac mini Server (moving the .xml to the desktop, deleting the .itl from the iTunes folder, re-importing the .xml).

I think I have done some other steps in between, too but none of them fixes that problem. Please note: I am not using an Apple AirPort Extreme but my service provider's Modem / Router combination. I do not think the problem is located in that Modem / Router / Network connection as it once worked without any troubles. Maybe I will try to connect my AirPort Extreme to that Modem somewhat later to see if this fixes the problem.

Any help is highly appreciated!

J

Posted on Jul 5, 2013 2:43 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 21, 2013 12:15 AM

Looks like I found a solution on my own...

After renaming my iTunes Mediatheque in the iTunes preferences window on my iTunes server hosted by a Mac mini all mi iOS devices were able to load my mediatheque in complete again. It took some time to get all the covers but no title is left over.

I found this solution by "accident" when I noticed too many devices used more or less the same name on my network.

Strange.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 21, 2013 12:15 AM in response to Leografix

Looks like I found a solution on my own...

After renaming my iTunes Mediatheque in the iTunes preferences window on my iTunes server hosted by a Mac mini all mi iOS devices were able to load my mediatheque in complete again. It took some time to get all the covers but no title is left over.

I found this solution by "accident" when I noticed too many devices used more or less the same name on my network.

Strange.

iOS devices not loading shared media library to the end

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.