Previous 1 2 Next 26 Replies Latest reply: Jul 12, 2013 4:36 AM by Frank Caggiano
honkers852 Level 1 Level 1

Upgraded to Aperture 3.4.5. When importing photos into Aperture, Aperture does see any items in the OS Pictures folder. Aperture sees files in all other folders.

I reinstalled Aperture 3.0 from disk and the problem was not present. After an upgrade back to 3.4.5, the problem persits.

Aperture 3, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4)
Reply by Frank Caggiano on Jul 11, 2013 11:19 AM Helpful

So to recap; Aperture cannot see any files or folders in the home Pictures folder. Even if you make a new user, log in as that user, run Aperture, Apertute does not see anything in that users home Picture folder.

Is all that correct so far?

In addition you say you are running a plain OS X install the Home and Picture folders on on the root drive and nothing has been done to them. (why that ACL is set on your Picture folder should be investigated at some point).

Getting the complete ls output for the Pictures folder, as I showed, would be helpful. Also a screen shot of Aperture's input window could be helpful.

I'm running 3.4.5 on 10.8.4 with no problems as are most folk here  so this isn't strictly an Aperture problem but some weird interaction on your system. When did you upgrade to 10.8.4?

Also can you access the Pictures folder with other applications? Finder, iPhoto, Preview, TextEdit, etc.

Reply by honkers852 on Jul 11, 2013 7:30 PM Helpful

Thank you everyone for your help..

Spent a few hours with a number of  Apple "Genius'" folks. All of your suggestions covered exactly what the Geniueses suggested to do. Turned out to be the stumper of the day for them. Fortunately, the fault was found.

Turns out that one single AVCHD video filein the target folder had a format that was incompatible with Aperture. It's presence made the entire folder's content of 5000 photos invisible.

Regards to all

All replies

• léonie Level 10 Level 10
    expertise.photosformac
    Photos for Mac

any items in the OS Pictures folder

Do you mean, the "Pictures" folder in your Home folder?

Just to be sure, have you checked, if any of these settings in your import oanel could be excluding the file types in your "Pictures" folder?

Screen Shot 2013-07-05 at 14.48.37MESZ.PNG

• honkers852 Level 1 Level 1

Hello leonieDF,

Thanks for your reply.

1. The settings are appropriate and are not excluding any files or file types.
    2. The files I want to import are in the OS Home folfer, Finder folder "Pictures". I have been importing from this folder for years. If I place the files in any other folder such as "Documents", "Desktop" or "Downloads", Aperture sees them correctly.
    3. This problem surfaced after the Upgrade to 3.4.5

Thoughts?

h

expertise.photosformac
    Photos for Mac

Can Aperture not open the "Pictures" folder or does it show this folder as empty?

Is your home folder on the internal drive or have you moved it to an external drive?

Have you checked the permissions on the Pictures folder? Do you have Read &Write access?

• Aperture sees the folder. However  the "Pictures" folder shows as empty. All other folders are displaying appropriately.
    • The folder is on the internal HD, as always.
    • Permisions are OK for Read & Write access
    • Problem only appeared after update to 3.4.5 from 3.4.4. I did a clean reinstal with the original 3.0 disk, all was OK. The problem resurfaced with reintroductio of the 3.4.5 update
    expertise.photosformac
    Photos for Mac

You don't have by any chance "File Vault" enabled in your System Preferences > Security and Privacy setting?

I hope, someone has more ideas, what to check.

File Vault is turned off.

Anybody elese have an idea please?

expertise.photosformac
    Photos for Mac

Nobody else?

It would help to know, if your library is causing this or your user preferences.

• To check the Library: Create a new Aperture Library (In Aperture : File > Switch to Library > Other/new)
      • Try to import from the Desktop - is it possible?  If yes, then repair your main Aperture library.
    • To check the prefrences: Log into a different User account, launch Aperture and  try to import from the Desktop. Is it possible?
      • If you can import from the Desktop in a different account, remove your User Preferences from the Preferences folder in your User Library (don't delete them, move them to a folder on your Desktop). How is described here:
        Aperture 3: Troubleshooting Basics

Post back, when you have checked this -perhaps we can then see better, what's happening.

leonieDF, I did all as suggested. Nil help.

Recap, Aperture appears to work properly with one exception. It does not see the content of only one folder, "Pictures"

Any other suggestions.

expertise.photosformac
    Photos for Mac

Recap, Aperture appears to work properly with one exception. It does not see the content of only one folder, "Pictures"

But what were the results of the tests?  I still cannot tell from your answer, if Aperture does see the Desktop when you are using a different user account or a different library. We need to know that to be able to tell, if there is problem with the Aperture installation, with your current library, or with the system.

With any user, Aperture can see all locations, Desktop, Documents, Home folder etc and can import from any of them with one sigular exception. It cannot see the files contained in the "Pictures" folder. If the files contained therein are moved to any other location, Aperture will see them.

So in essence everything that's been suggested so far from tests, reapirs, user changes and even a clean install produce the same result, files cantained the "Pictures" folder alone go unseen. This is the folder from wich all previous imports over a 5 year period have taken place.

I should say that when I clean re-installed Aperture 3.0 from disk, Aperture could see the items in the "pictures" folder. This ability disapeared with the 3.4.5 update.

Thoughts please?

• Allan Eckert Level 9 Level 9
    expertise.notebooks
    Notebooks

Could you please do a Get Info on the "Pictures" folder and publish the results here?

Allan

• Frank Caggiano Level 7 Level 7

Open a Terminal window by enterting Terminal into a spotlight search and selecting the Terminal application.

Once the Terminal is open enter the following command

ls -lde@ Pictures

(you can cut and paste the abovr line into the terminal).

Cut and paste the outpit of the command, not a screen shot, here.

• Frank Caggiano Level 7 Level 7

One other thing is there anything special about you're setup or filesystem? Are the home folders on the root drive or have they been relocated to another partition?

The same questions for the Pictures folder.

regards

Previous 1 2 Next