Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Aperture 3.4.5. When importing, Aperture does see any items in the OS Pictures folder.

Upgraded to Aperture 3.4.5. When importing photos into Aperture, Aperture does see any items in the OS Pictures folder. Aperture sees files in all other folders.

I reinstalled Aperture 3.0 from disk and the problem was not present. After an upgrade back to 3.4.5, the problem persits.

Aperture 3, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4)

Posted on Jul 5, 2013 4:04 AM

26 replies

Jul 5, 2013 7:42 AM in response to léonie

Hello leonieDF,

Thanks for your reply.

1. The settings are appropriate and are not excluding any files or file types.
  2. The files I want to import are in the OS Home folfer, Finder folder "Pictures". I have been importing from this folder for years. If I place the files in any other folder such as "Documents", "Desktop" or "Downloads", Aperture sees them correctly.
  3. This problem surfaced after the Upgrade to 3.4.5

Thoughts?

h

Jul 5, 2013 8:15 AM in response to léonie

• Aperture sees the folder. However the "Pictures" folder shows as empty. All other folders are displaying appropriately.
  • The folder is on the internal HD, as always.
  • Permisions are OK for Read & Write access
  • Problem only appeared after update to 3.4.5 from 3.4.4. I did a clean reinstal with the original 3.0 disk, all was OK. The problem resurfaced with reintroductio of the 3.4.5 update

Jul 6, 2013 9:12 AM in response to honkers852

Nobody else?

It would help to know, if your library is causing this or your user preferences.

• To check the Library: Create a new Aperture Library (In Aperture : File > Switch to Library > Other/new)

Try to import from the Desktop - is it possible? If yes, then repair your main Aperture library.

• To check the prefrences: Log into a different User account, launch Aperture and try to import from the Desktop. Is it possible?

If you can import from the Desktop in a different account, remove your User Preferences from the Preferences folder in your User Library (don't delete them, move them to a folder on your Desktop). How is described here:
    Aperture 3: Troubleshooting Basics

Post back, when you have checked this -perhaps we can then see better, what's happening.

Jul 9, 2013 2:06 AM in response to honkers852

Recap, Aperture appears to work properly with one exception. It does not see the content of only one folder, "Pictures"

But what were the results of the tests? I still cannot tell from your answer, if Aperture does see the Desktop when you are using a different user account or a different library. We need to know that to be able to tell, if there is problem with the Aperture installation, with your current library, or with the system.

Jul 9, 2013 7:03 AM in response to léonie

With any user, Aperture can see all locations, Desktop, Documents, Home folder etc and can import from any of them with one sigular exception. It cannot see the files contained in the "Pictures" folder. If the files contained therein are moved to any other location, Aperture will see them.

So in essence everything that's been suggested so far from tests, reapirs, user changes and even a clean install produce the same result, files cantained the "Pictures" folder alone go unseen. This is the folder from wich all previous imports over a 5 year period have taken place.

I should say that when I clean re-installed Aperture 3.0 from disk, Aperture could see the items in the "pictures" folder. This ability disapeared with the 3.4.5 update.

Thoughts please?

Aperture 3.4.5. When importing, Aperture does see any items in the OS Pictures folder.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.