Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Hard drive networked through Time Capsule for Windows and Mac

My previous setup was using an old Dell laptop with Windows XP to network share both my Samsung laser printer and my Seagate GoFlex 2 tb drive formated to NTFS, and all Windows 7, Windows 8, and OS X 10.6+ machines in the house were successfully able to connect to both. My wife replaced her old Macbook Pro she got in 2008 and decided to get a Time Capsule as well to backup her iMac and new Macbook Air. I decided to take advantage of the "features" of the Time Capsule, and hubbed the single port, just as I had done with the old Dell. After installing Bonjour on the Windows 7 machines I was able to share the printer just fine, however I'm still unable to share the drive for some reason.

The Airport utility on both the Macs and Win 7 machines see the hard drive in utilities, the box in Airport for file sharing is checked, guest access turned off, secure disk sharing with device password, and workgroup matches my workgroup. However the hard drive still doesn't appear. I tried formatting it to FAT32 based on some older forums posted in 2008-2009 range, but then realized the hard drive is too large for that, and I'm not looking to have a bunch of smaller partitions. I tried exFAT, but that failed too. Now I'm back to NTFS, but still with the issue that none of the machines recognize hard drive via the Explorer/Finder.

The Time Capsule is functioning as a backup with Time Machine for her Mac's, but I'm looking to use the external drive connected more as a media center storage and storing selected individual files (think networked thumb drive/USB stick) from my machines.

Airport Time Capsule -OTHER, Windows 7

Posted on Jul 5, 2013 10:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 5, 2013 3:54 PM

Put the seagate drive onto the Mac and format it Mac OS extended journaled. (HFS+ for short) and you will also need to change the partition over to GUID from MBR.

TC has very limited formats it can recognise.. FAT32 and HFS+ (well FAT16 but that doesn't count). exfat no, ntfs no, Really with FAT32 being hopeless.. you have one choice .. HFS+.

The Windows machines can handle files to the drive just fine.. because it is a network drive.. it is offered to the network as SMB protocol.. in windows it will look like NT server. The precise format of the drive is irrelevant and is handled by the firmware of the TC.

But do reset the partition scheme to GUID.. not MBR.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ph5845

You can even put 2 or more partitions on it.. but only one is fine.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 5, 2013 3:54 PM in response to Mystic484

Put the seagate drive onto the Mac and format it Mac OS extended journaled. (HFS+ for short) and you will also need to change the partition over to GUID from MBR.

TC has very limited formats it can recognise.. FAT32 and HFS+ (well FAT16 but that doesn't count). exfat no, ntfs no, Really with FAT32 being hopeless.. you have one choice .. HFS+.

The Windows machines can handle files to the drive just fine.. because it is a network drive.. it is offered to the network as SMB protocol.. in windows it will look like NT server. The precise format of the drive is irrelevant and is handled by the firmware of the TC.

But do reset the partition scheme to GUID.. not MBR.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ph5845

You can even put 2 or more partitions on it.. but only one is fine.

Hard drive networked through Time Capsule for Windows and Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.