Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

System Freeze. SSD.TimeMachine. MBP retina 2013

A - Background / System Environment:

I got the new Macbook Pro retina 13" display 2013.

here is the configuration:

3Ghz I7

8Ghz 1600Mhz DDR3

OS X 10.8.4

SSD 500Gb

TRIM support: YES

I created 2 user sessions. 1 user session has been created on the regular basis while,

1 user session is the one I created through timemachine from my previous macbookPro:

MacBookPro 13" (early 2011)

Processor: I5Duo 2.3GHz

Memory: 4Gb RAM

HDD: 320Gb

B - Problem:

On the MBP2013 retina,

the first user session created under the OS 10.8.4 seems to work just fine,

whereas the user session created with the timeMachine present several issues.

- I alway get a freeze whenever I need to access to the SSD data, as simple as opening the Finder ( it usually takes up to 40seconds )

- If I need to copy/ paste files from external SD card, USB stick ...to the MBP, the beachBall appears, and I wait up to 40 seconds

I 've heard about TRIM that should be enabled or not...

Or is there any patch to download ?

Has anyone encountered the same situation while importing datas with timemachine (from HDD system to SSD system) ?

I 'll be glad if anyone knew what to fill out in the section "C" hereafter ;P

C - Solution :

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4), Time Machine

Posted on Jul 5, 2013 11:43 AM

8 replies

Jul 5, 2013 4:23 PM in response to rakrakor

Launch the Console application in any of the following ways:

☞ Enter the first few letters of its name into a Spotlight search. Select it in the results (it should be at the top.)

☞ In the Finder, select Go Utilities from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-U. The application is in the folder that opens.

☞ Open LaunchPad. Click Utilities, then Console in the icon grid.

Make sure the title of the Console window is All Messages. If it isn't, select All Messages from the SYSTEM LOG QUERIES menu on the left. If you don't see that menu, select

View Show Log List

from the menu bar.

Click the Clear Display icon in the toolbar. Then try the action that you're having trouble with again. Select any messages that appear in the Console window. Copy them to the Clipboard (command-C). Paste into a reply to this message (command-V).

When posting a log extract, be selective. In most cases, a few dozen lines are more than enough.

Please do not indiscriminately dump thousands of lines from the log into this discussion.

Important: Some private information, such as your name, may appear in the log. Anonymize before posting.

Jul 6, 2013 6:57 AM in response to rakrakor

If one user account works fine, then the problem is obviously with the other users account. What probably happened is that there is a conflict between the two accounts. When you migrated the old account its permissions got scrambled.

The first question is what do you want to do with these two accounts? Do you want to keep them both, delete one, or consolidate?

Jul 6, 2013 11:21 PM in response to Linc Davis

Linc Davis,

I followed the steps you gave, and here is an extract of the Log List after an attempt to open the Finder (the beach ball spinned for more than a minute):

2013-07-07 1:52:30.559 AM WindowServer[66455]: CGXDisableUpdate: UI updates were forcibly disabled by application "Finder" for over 1.00 seconds. Server has re-enabled them.

2013-07-07 1:52:44.560 AM WindowServer[66455]: disable_update_likely_unbalanced: UI updates still disabled by application "Finder" after 15.00 seconds (server forcibly re-enabled them after 1.00 seconds). Likely an unbalanced disableUpdate call.

2013-07-07 1:52:49.000 AM kernel[0]: nspace-handler-unblock: did not find token 56409

2013-07-07 1:52:53.000 AM kernel[0]: revoking trust for process 84384

2013-07-07 1:53:09.000 AM kernel[0]: nspace-handler-unblock: did not find token 56411

2013-07-07 1:53:23.000 AM kernel[0]: revoking trust for process 84358

2013-07-07 1:53:29.000 AM kernel[0]: nspace-handler-unblock: did not find token 56412

2013-07-07 1:53:49.000 AM kernel[0]: nspace-handler-unblock: did not find token 56415

2013-07-07 1:53:49.605 AM WindowServer[66455]: reenable_update_for_connection: UI updates were finally reenabled by application "Finder" after 80.05 seconds (server forcibly re-enabled them after 1.00 seconds)

2013-07-07 1:53:53.000 AM kernel[0]: process 84409 set trusted

Jul 7, 2013 9:35 AM in response to rakrakor

I can't see your screenshot. If the About This Mac window shows 10.8.4 as the version number, then that's what it is.

Problems such as yours are sometimes caused by files that should belong to you but are locked or have wrong permissions. This procedure will check for such files. It makes no changes and therefore will not, in itself, solve your problem.

First, empty the Trash.

Triple-click the line below to select it, then copy the selected text to the Clipboard (command-C):

find ~ $TMPDIR.. \( -flags +sappnd,schg,uappnd,uchg -o ! -user $UID -o ! -perm -600 -o -acl \) 2> /dev/null | wc -l

Launch the Terminal application in any of the following ways:

☞ Enter the first few letters of its name into a Spotlight search. Select it in the results (it should be at the top.)

☞ In the Finder, select Go Utilities from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-U. The application is in the folder that opens.

☞ Open LaunchPad. Click Utilities, then Terminal in the icon grid.

Paste into the Terminal window (command-V). The command may take a noticeable amount of time to run. Wait for a new line ending in a dollar sign (“$”) to appear.

The output of this command, on a line directly below what you entered, will be a number such as "41." Please post it in a reply.

Jan 16, 2014 4:40 AM in response to rakrakor

after I imported my datas & apps, from my old MBP to the MBPR through timemachine, all my previous applications were then installed on the MBPR.

Since the applications are common to all users, I just copied all my datas from the user session that lagged, to the user session that was created when setting up the new MBPR ( with no timing issue under that new user session).

It works fine now.

Apparently if you use timemachine to import a user session from an old MBP(early 2011) to a MBPR(2013 with SSD), there is a compatibility issue.

System Freeze. SSD.TimeMachine. MBP retina 2013

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.