Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Blacked out iMac

I have a somewhat older version of a Mac desktop computer. when I plug it in, it turns on but then turns black. I can see the cursor on the screen and am able to move it around. When I push buttons on the keyboard, it honks at me. I also do not have an Apple keyboard or mouse for it (I'm not sure if that helps or not) and I don't know what version OS is on it. I think it may be a X? What could be the problem? Is there a way for me to fix this problem at home?

iMac

Posted on Jul 5, 2013 3:49 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 6, 2013 12:16 PM

Hello, do you have the original Install Disc to try?

If not...

Safe Boot, (holding Shift key down at bootup), run Disk Utility in Applications>Utilities, then highlight your drive, click on Repair Permissions, reboot when it completes.

(Safe boot may stay on the gray radian for a long time, let it go, it's trying to repair the Hard Drive.)

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 6, 2013 12:16 PM in response to damkaya

Hello, do you have the original Install Disc to try?

If not...

Safe Boot, (holding Shift key down at bootup), run Disk Utility in Applications>Utilities, then highlight your drive, click on Repair Permissions, reboot when it completes.

(Safe boot may stay on the gray radian for a long time, let it go, it's trying to repair the Hard Drive.)

Jul 6, 2013 1:14 PM in response to damkaya

damkaya wrote:

I have a somewhat older version of a Mac desktop computer. when I plug it in, it turns on but then turns black. I can see the cursor on the screen and am able to move it around. When I push buttons on the keyboard, it honks at me. I also do not have an Apple keyboard or mouse for it (I'm not sure if that helps or not) and I don't know what version OS is on it. I think it may be a X? What could be the problem? Is there a way for me to fix this problem at home?

Which one? Check out KB Articles: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1758 How to identify iMac models

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3964 Intel-based Macs: Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC)

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1379 Resetting your Mac's PRAM and NVRAM

User uploaded file

Jul 6, 2013 2:51 PM in response to BDAqua

I read a couple articles on other websites and this is what I found:

Action: I held down the space bar, at the same time I pushed the power button, until the Apple logo appears

Outcome: skipped login screen to desktop. works fine for a little while then freezes.

Action: Hold power button until it's forced to shut down. Rest for 5 seconds. Push power button. Hold down shift key when welcome sound comes. Let go when Apple logo appears.

Outcome: Login screen appears and works fine then eventually freezes and I have to repeat safe boot (only way to turn on computer and avoid blackout screen)

Now that the computer is on and working, I connected it to the internet but it did not have an IP address so I typed in a random IP that I found online. I don't think the IP address is working properly though. Does anyone know how I can set up my own IP and subnet mask?

Also, I found out that the it is an iMac G5 so I think it was discontinued in 2006?

Thanks again for all your help! I'm new to all of this and still learning what all this IP Subnet Mask etc. is.

Blacked out iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.