Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Pardon my ignorance, but how do I delete a clip?

I've two queries for anyone out there willing to throw me a bone.

1. how do i delete a single clip from my hard drive?! i'm new to final cut and am struggling. its not really spelled out in my phone book sized manual.

2. if i have some footage shot in 16:9 and some in 4:3 is there a way to chop the sides off the 16:9 or, assuming i'm editing for a 4:3 screen should i just let the tv do it for me?

you are all too kind with your help!

mac book pro

Posted on Jun 9, 2006 1:44 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 9, 2006 2:51 AM

1. Right-click or control-click on the clip in the Browser and select MAKE OFFLINE. Then you have a set of options to choose from. Choose one.

2. www.proapptips.com/captmench has a tutorial on how to handle this.

Shane
User uploaded file
7 replies

Jun 9, 2006 7:33 AM in response to pete_schnapps

I don't want to complicate things - BUT . . .
Did you really mean delete a Clip from your Hard Drive - or did you mean delete the Clip from your FCP browser window (as Shane described)?

When you capture footage to the Hard Drive, it's saved as a Media File in your Capture Scratch folder . . .

Deleting the clip from the FCP browser (as Shane described) will leave the original Media File (still taking up space) in your Capture Scratch folder on your HD.

Final Cut Pro > System Settings will tell you which your Capture Scratch folder is.

If you really want to delete the Media File from the Hard Drive, this is where to go to use Finder to move it to the trash. If you do this, then empty the trash, the file will be lost.

Andy

G5 Quad. 8 GB. 250 & 500 GB Int'l Drives. G-Tech G-Raid 1 TB. FCP 5.0.4 (Studio) Mac OS X (10.4.6) Sony HVR-Z1E . . . I mark my questions Solved or Helpful - and I LOVE FCP.

Jun 9, 2006 8:48 AM in response to Andy Mees

Humble apologies - especially to Shane. I feel utterly stupid and sorry for being so hasty. Must be the hot weather over here - we're not used to it!

I think I'll go and lie down in a darkened room. . . .

I must READ THE POSTS before I reply to them . . .

RED-FACED Andy

G5 Quad. 8 GB. 250 & 500 GB Int'l Drives. G-Tech G-Raid 1 TB. FCP 5.0.4 (Studio) Mac OS X (10.4.6) Sony HVR-Z1E . . . I mark my questions Solved or Helpful - and I LOVE FCP.

Pardon my ignorance, but how do I delete a clip?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.