Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

usb 3.0

I have a new Mac Pro but can't use my USB modem by Verizon which is USB 2.0. Is this a problem for all?

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2012)

Posted on Jul 5, 2013 7:05 PM

5 replies

Jul 5, 2013 7:53 PM in response to Allan Eckert

I just spent a few long hours with Verizon. It appears that the problem resides with the new MacBook Pro 3.0 USB connection. Any Verizon 2.0 USB modem device such as the UML290 or UML295 will NOT be able to connect to the 3.0 slot on the MacNook Pro. Kind of angry about this because I have seen nothing about this on Mac's website before I purchased the pro. Now I have to search for another device. MAC should have warned its customers about the problem.

Jul 5, 2013 8:00 PM in response to Patrickfast

The Mac has never treated USB as a full-fledged Networking protocol. There are a few models that force networking traffic over USB -- but only to another Apple device (such as USB-Ethernet adfapter)..

There has never been any built-in support for third-party networking over USB, so any USB Networking device you attempt to use must be fully supported by the manufacturer's software.

Verizon only reluctantly believes Macs even exist.

Sep 30, 2013 6:33 PM in response to Patrickfast

Hi Patrick,

This is a slightly older thread, but posting in hopes others will read it and not be confused by the above answers. The device Patrick has is an Aircard. Basically if you're traveling and don't have access to an ethernet port or a Wifi connection you use one of these.

I haven't seen this problem with the UML290 devices at all, but the UML295 will not work on the newer Macbook models that have USB 3.0. I've seen in another thread that there is a method of connecting and downloading updates to the device to eventually get it to work but I'd say for anyone else having these issues to go back to your provider and swap the device for a mobile hotspot.

The hotspot just works - if your device has a functional WiFi adapter it just picks up the hotspot and you go. Much easier, no drivers, no mess. Best part is you don't need to worry that your mobile connectivity is going to break on that next update and it will work on any computer you have.

usb 3.0

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.