Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I open Mail on my 10.6.8?

Hi, how can I open Mail on my MAC OS X 10.6.8? I try to click the Mail icon in the bar and in applications, neither open. I tried to go to the application itself and received this error message:

Last login: Fri Jul 5 18:43:33 on console

/Applications/Mail.app/Contents/MacOS/Mail ; exit;

jennal-johnsons-computer:~ Michelle$ /Applications/Mail.app/Contents/MacOS/Mail ; exit;

2013-07-05 18:58:07.880 Mail[257:903] Unable to load nib file: MailViewer, exiting

logout

[Process completed]

I have not tried or configured Mail before this attempt. I checked that updates are installed and downloaded 10.6.8 updates. When I pull up Mail info, it gives 4.6 as the version. I tried MailPluginFix. It says, there is no Mail program. I do not know where the original CDs are to reinstall this program...

Thanks for your help!

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Jul 5, 2013 7:29 PM

2 replies

Jul 6, 2013 1:01 AM in response to tantamichelle

Mac OS X v10.6: Mail.app won’t open, or "You can't use this version of Mail…" alert after installing Security Update 2012-004:

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS4424?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

Fellow user Grant Bennet-Alder offers this solution:

Some users have reported this problem if the Mail Application has been moved out of the top-level /Applications folder, or duplicated in another location.

When the Security Update is done, the old version of Mail is disabled.

The solution has been to:

1) make certain Mail is in the /Applications folder

2) There is no other copy anywhere else.

3) Once steps 1 and 2 have been done, Manually download and re-apply the Security Update (2012-004) by hand.

Security Update 2012-004 (Snow Leopard)

If the Mail.app has been LOST, it can be re-installed by applying the 10.6.8 version 1.1 combo update. But this update is quite large and it is usually not necessary:

Mac OS X 10.6.8 Update Combo v1.1

How can I open Mail on my 10.6.8?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.