Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I need help with the iCloud

Hello,

Over the years I have built up a very large collection of music and other media across my iTunes account. I have multiple devices as I name here; an Apple TV (The smaller black one which does not have internal storage but instead streams from what I believe is the iCloud), a MacBook Pro, an iPhone, an iPod classic. My family has multiple devices including 2 iPads (my sons), an iPad Mini (my daughter), 3 iPods (all three of my children), 3 iPhones (My wife and one of my sons and my daughter), and two more MacBooks. Recently a friend of mine encouraged me to upload all of my media on my iTunes to the iCloud. Before I did this, I had all my media on all my devices. Now, I have all my music on my iPod classic, all my films and tv shows on my Apple TV, and nothing on any other device that I have. I can download most of the songs on my MacBook Pro but there are 5 copies of each song. I can't download and of the films or TV shows. Despite this, my son tells me that he is able to download any of the Tv shows or Films purchased on the apple tv on his iPad. However, I cannot do the same on my devices. Only my devices are linked to the cloud. I believe that the reason he can download these is because of Home Sharing. I want to configure my home sharing so that I can make it so that all of my devices can download all of my media, yet I am unable to locate where the Home Sharing can be configured. This is a huge pain for me. I should mention that many of the songs that I had before the iCloud incident were put onto my devices via CD's, so I did not purchase them from iTunes. Please let me know if this is posted in the wrong place or if I need to give more information.

I really would appreciate any help, and thank you in advance!

Posted on Jul 5, 2013 10:13 PM

6 replies

Jul 5, 2013 10:24 PM in response to thisisjustforapple01

Recently a friend of mine encouraged me to upload all of my media on my iTunes to the iCloud. Before I did this, I had all my media on all my devices.

You don't upload to iCloud. iTunes purchases will show in iCloud.

How did you do this? iTunes Match?

I should mention that many of the songs that I had before the iCloud incident were put onto my devices via CD's, so I did not purchase them from iTunes.

You can only do this with iTunes Match.

I believe that the reason he can download these is because of Home Sharing.

Home Sharing is for viewing/copying items from iTunes on your computer, not iCloud.

I want to configure my home sharing so that I can make it so that all of my devices can download all of my media, yet I am unable to locate where the Home Sharing can be configured.

Start here -> Home Sharing Support - Get Started

Jul 5, 2013 10:44 PM in response to Chris CA

I think I need to correct myself a little bit. At the moment, I do have home sharing set up, but I want to be able to configure all of the settings. Where can I do this? Also I about 230 songs on my MacBook and my iPhone and they are a mix of some things that I have bought off of iTunes and things that I have gotten from CDs. If I merged my MacBook Pro library with the library on my iPod classic, I would have all of my music, and that is the most important thing for me at the moment, although I would also like to have my tv shows and films. I am scared about syncing my ipod classic with my macbook pro however, as I think it will make me lose everything! I most definitely uploaded it to the cloud as there are buttons on both my Macbook and my iPhone which allow me to download some songs from the cloud, they are cloud icons with downward pointing arrows. Also when I was moving the songs from the CD's all I did was copy them over into the library and it was as simple as that.

Jul 5, 2013 10:56 PM in response to thisisjustforapple01

thisisjustforapple01 wrote:

I think I need to correct myself a little bit. At the moment, I do have home sharing set up, but I want to be able to configure all of the settings. Where can I do this?

Home Sharing is On or Off. These are the only settings.

I most definitely uploaded it to the cloud as there are buttons on both my Macbook and my iPhone which allow me to download some songs from the cloud, they are cloud icons with downward pointing arrows.

Because they are iTunes purchases. You don't load iTunes purchases to iCloud.

When you make an iTunes purchase, it is automatically put into your iCloud (from iTunes store, not uploaded from you computer).

Also when I was moving the songs from the CD's all I did was copy them over into the library and it was as simple as that.

Yes, but these are on your computer, are not in iCloud.

Jul 5, 2013 11:08 PM in response to Chris CA

Ok, so there is no way for me to manage my devices on home sharing. I see now that I can access all of my purchased content from the purchased section of the iTunes, so I can download all of my films and the music that I have purchased on all my devices. However the real dilemma here is that I am unable to move the unpurchased songs from my iPod classic, which I had gotten on there via copying music from CD's to the itunes library of my old computer, a PC, and then moving it onto my iPod Classic. So I want to access all of my iPod classic music on my other devices, but I do not want to sync it with my MacBook, as I do not want to lose the 2000 or so songs which I have on there. Is there any way to achieve this?

Jul 5, 2013 11:47 PM in response to thisisjustforapple01

thisisjustforapple01 wrote:

So I want to access all of my iPod classic music on my other devices, but I do not want to sync it with my MacBook, as I do not want to lose the 2000 or so songs which I have on there. Is there any way to achieve this?

Yes. Move the music files from the old computer the the "new" computer and add them to the iTunes library. Then you can sync the iPod without losing anything. Although the first time you sync a new iDevice with a new iTunes library the existing content will be removed from the iDevice and replaced with the content form the new library.

I need help with the iCloud

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.