Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Migration Assistant 10.5 to target running 10.6

Hi everyone,

I've been scouring the internet for information as to what exactly the problem is to an issue. I've tried downloading updated to MA, but nothing yet.

I've got 1 Mac with (likely) a broken screen power inverter running 106. So it is mostly dim all of the time. I have another Mac with a smaller drive running 10.5, with less RAM. Each Mac is only really used by one different user each. My plan has been to migrate the user on smaller HD to the larger, and switch out the necessary RAM and drive.

My problem is that when using Migration Assistant, I follow all of the instructions, and both computers get stuck on "Looking for Other Computers". They are definite;y connected on a network, as I am currently using screen sharing to access the assistant on the Mac with the dim screen.

I've tried:

• Downloading the Migration Assistant update for Leopard (for using it with Lion)
  • Disabling Firewall (or allowing all incoming connections)
  • Sharing the Internet via Ethernet

Nothing yet has worked. Is there something categorically wrong with migrating a user from a Leopard Mac to Snow Leopard? I can't see anything wrong as far as only migrating a user.

Any suggestions, or workarounds?

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Jul 6, 2013 1:50 AM

7 replies

Jul 6, 2013 10:07 AM in response to BDAqua

I'm running Ethernet as the connection.

Yes, the 10.6 is set to look for connections to it, and the 10.5 is going from it. In other words I have the older as the source, and the newer as the target.

So older to newer doesn't work, but newer to older does? Everything I'd read said the opposite.

If that's the case, I may just have to upgrade the mac I'm on now to 10.6.

I may also try to run it from time machine/ bootable backup. Reckon that'd run any better?

Migration Assistant 10.5 to target running 10.6

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.