Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Duplicate versions to Different Folders

I have various uses for my photographs and need to organise my photos according to their final use. I would like to able to keep an original and non-edited 'as shot' folder for all my shoots, and then create duplicate versions according to their use/post production etc. The problem I have is that when I create aduplicate version and drag it to another folder to work on it, aperture moves both files.

This is a big issue for me organisationally because I would really like to always keep an original set in a separate location, and all the edited versions in separate folders. It must be possible right?

Any help would be much appreciated!

MacBook Pro with Retina display, Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Jul 6, 2013 3:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 6, 2013 4:47 AM

When you say "folder" do you mean 'Project'?

If you do, then no it's not. All those versions are virtual entities contingent on the Master file. Where goes they master, they follow.

Use Albums instead of projects for this. Versions can be in any album.

Regards

TD

2 replies

Jul 6, 2013 5:51 AM in response to rjs189

The problem I have is that when I create aduplicate version and drag it to another folder to work on it, aperture moves both files.

As TD has said: At the project level it is impossible to seperate the edited versions from the original version. Each image, together with all its versions, is filed in one project as the basic container of the images. See it as Aperture's storage structure.

For the products - books, slideshows, albums you can freely add the images and versions separately.

Folders, btw, dont hold images at all: they group projects, albums, and other library items.

This is a big issue for me organisationally because I would really like to always keep an original set in a separate location, and all the edited versions in separate folders. It must be possible right?

I'd suggest two create two smart albums for each project:

• one smart album for original image versions
  • one smart album for edited image versions

For example: Select a project in the library inspector and use the command "New> Smart album":

• In the Smart Settings HUD add a rule "Adjustments are applied"
  • Create a second smart album with the rule: "Adjustments are not applied"

Now you will have split all image versions in the project between two smart albums, one with original versions and one with edited versions, like below:

User uploaded file

Regards

Léonie

Duplicate versions to Different Folders

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.