Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My G4 powerbook starts up but with a black screen. The reset button does not work. Does anyone know the keys to press on restart please ?

My G4 powerbook running OSX 10.3.9 starts up with a black screen. The reset button is not working. Does anyone know which keys to press on restart please.?

PowerBook, Mac OS X (10.3.x), reset button not working

Posted on Jul 6, 2013 1:24 AM

2 replies

Apr 15, 2016 6:17 PM in response to peter venning

HI there don't know if anyone cares about this anymore but I had the same problems with a PowerBook titanium 1ghz I purchased from well known auction site...owner did not mention any display issues in description but when I got it there was some flickering of screen when laptop moved or screen adjusted...then laptop display would go dark by itself or when starting up or waking from sleep would display lighted screen image but then go to dark screen (a faint image could be detected)... Oh well, too late to do anything about it by that stage & besides I had I one years ago but gave it away (regrets!) so I'll hang on to it even in this state...& laptop would run very hot...was this a bad ram issue? After endless swapping of ram pairs problem still persisted...overheating/heat sink cause? Maybe but before a complete strip down I tried pram/nvram key combos...after some false hope problem dark screen returned with added loss of system clock time on top of that (back to 1970!)...hmm, was this bad back up battery cause? So digging out the excellent Service Manual PDFs I followed the guide for removal of backup battery...luckily I had an old battered titanium 867mhz to hand that booted up fine from power brick...while they were opened up I might as well swap over the back up batteries and the inverter boards with long orange flex cable as well! Lo and behold the 1ghz booted up fine...and no dark screen from start up or wake from sleep, software sleep or closed lid...no flickering screen either when being moved or adjusted...and system clock is maintaining its time! Success! And weird footnote...the 867mhz (now with the inverter and back up battery from the 1ghz) is still booting up fine! Who knows why that is...?! Just thought I'd share my experience with you...

My G4 powerbook starts up but with a black screen. The reset button does not work. Does anyone know the keys to press on restart please ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.