Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't access several websites after last security update

Hello,

After upgrading both my Macbook Air mid 2011 and iMac 2008 (with SSD) both running Mountain Lion 10.8.4 to the last security fix, I can't access from any of those two computers a variety of websites, for example:

www.opennicproject.org

www.gentoo-el.org

www.adslgr.com

These are only three. Almost half of Google's results are blocked. Using the terminal utility I am able to resolv some of them but not actually 'ping' them. I get no ping replies. I can access all these websites from other computers or devices (iPhone/iPad/Ubuntu desktop/WindowsXP laptop) on the same LAN. This problem exists only in the 2 macs which are up-to-date. I am sure that this problem is related to latest security update I did a couple of days ago, to both computers.

I'd like to know if anyone who have all patches installed up to the latest OSX version (mountain lion 10.8.4) has the same issues and can ping/resolv/access these websites.

Note that although I can't access these websites directly using any direct network connection, I can access them using TOR browser bundle for mac, which means that something is going on at a computer level.

I have checked so far:

- Applicationn Apple's firewall is not creating the problem (disabled/enabled all)

- ipfw/PF is not running with any ruleset

- LittleSnitch blocks just a couple of annoying outgoing connections. Nothing there (I disabled/enabeld it, same thing).

- Other computers access the websites/ping them/etc.

- I can access websites using TOR.

NOTE: It's not just 3 websites, it's something like 1 out of 3 DuckDuckGo links.

Ideas and thoughts are welcomed!

Best Regards,

PA

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4)

Posted on Jul 6, 2013 5:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 6, 2013 6:35 AM

I have the latest security updates and I am able to successfully connect to the websites you listed.

6 replies

Jul 6, 2013 9:38 AM in response to atma

From the Safari menu bar, select

Safari Preferences Extensions

Turn all extensions OFF and test. If the problem is resolved, turn extensions back ON and then disable them one or a few at a time until you find the culprit.

If you wish, you may be able to salvage the malfunctioning extension by uninstalling and reinstalling it. That will revert its settings to the defaults.

Jul 6, 2013 11:46 PM in response to Linc Davis

It's not a Safari issue:

$ ping www.gentoo-el.org atma@Angel PING gentoo-el.org (91.191.147.234): 56 data bytes Request timeout for icmp_seq 0 ^C --- gentoo-el.org ping statistics --- 2 packets transmitted, 0 packets received, 100.0% packet loss

As you can see, I can resolve (IP is shown) but I can't access the website. Ping reply is not working. The same result I get from too many other websites from both my macs. The iOs devices browse through these websites.

I'm trying to figure out what could be possibly be, because is turning me crazy. If it was just 1 mac I would be fine but both my macs after the upgrades have this behavior.

Best Regards,

Jul 7, 2013 6:45 AM in response to atma

Triple-click the line of text below on this page to select it:

kextstat -kl | awk '!/com\.apple/{printf "%s %s\n", $6, $7}' | open -f -a TextEdit

Copy the selected text to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C. Then click anywhere in the Terminal window and paste (command-V). A TextEdit window will open with the output of the command. If the command produced no output, the window will be empty. Post the contents of the TextEdit window (not the Terminal window), if any — the text, please, not a screenshot. You can then close the TextEdit window. The title of the window doesn't matter, and you don't need to post that.

May 2, 2016 5:36 AM in response to Linc Davis

Hi, Linc Davis I did like you said, run the command and get the Textedit window opened. The content in this windows:

com.globaldelight.driver.Boom2Device (1.1)

So could you tell me what should I do next? Ping always "Request timeout" ...😢

ping -c 3 apple.com

PING apple.com (17.178.96.59): 56 data bytes

Request timeout for icmp_seq 0

Request timeout for icmp_seq 1

36 bytes from 17.111.65.223: Communication prohibited by filter

Vr HL TOS Len ID Flg off TTL Pro cks Src Dst

4 5 00 5400 6e35 0 0000 30 01 2244 192.168.199.154 17.178.96.59

--- apple.com ping statistics ---

3 packets transmitted, 0 packets received, 100.0% packet loss

Can't access several websites after last security update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.