Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Launchpad Glitches

I have had some issues with Launchpad duplicating entries for applications I move or rename. I also had a bizarre glitch where applications/groups would have the wrong label or icon (usually the former), particularly after creating groups and/or moving icons around. A group containing the Adobe CS4 applications being called Xcode for example.

The only thing odd on my machine that I can think of is the copy of Adobe Flash Professional CS4 (so much for Adobe saying it doesn't work), which I got working by using the terminal command 'lipo' on the main executable inside the application bundle.

Though I do have Sophos Anti-Virus and both the Apple and Oracle versions of Java.

Other than excluding the database file from Sophos' on-access scanner, I can't think of anything else that may solve the issues.

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4), 21.5", 2.9GHz i5, Late 2012

Posted on Jul 6, 2013 7:24 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 6, 2013 9:17 AM

This procedure will reset the state of LaunchPad to its default. Any customization that you did will be removed.

Back up all data.

Triple-click the line below to select it:

~/Library/Application Support/Dock

Right-click or control-click the highlighted line and select

Services ▹ Open

from the contextual menu.* A folder should open. Inside it are one or more files with long names ending in ".db". Move those files to the Desktop, leaving the folder open. Log out, log back in, and test. If there's no change, put the files you moved back where they were, overwriting the ones that may have been created in their place. Then log in and log out again. Otherwise, delete the files you moved.

*If you don't see the contextual menu item, copy the selected text to the Clipboard (command-C). In the Finder, select

Go Go to Folder...

from the menu bar, paste into the box that opens (command-V). You won't see what you pasted because a line break is included. Press return.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 6, 2013 9:17 AM in response to BeebarbX

This procedure will reset the state of LaunchPad to its default. Any customization that you did will be removed.

Back up all data.

Triple-click the line below to select it:

~/Library/Application Support/Dock

Right-click or control-click the highlighted line and select

Services ▹ Open

from the contextual menu.* A folder should open. Inside it are one or more files with long names ending in ".db". Move those files to the Desktop, leaving the folder open. Log out, log back in, and test. If there's no change, put the files you moved back where they were, overwriting the ones that may have been created in their place. Then log in and log out again. Otherwise, delete the files you moved.

*If you don't see the contextual menu item, copy the selected text to the Clipboard (command-C). In the Finder, select

Go Go to Folder...

from the menu bar, paste into the box that opens (command-V). You won't see what you pasted because a line break is included. Press return.

Jul 6, 2013 10:47 PM in response to Linc Davis

This is a helpful response, but it is only a temporary solution. I probably should have mentioned that I have reset the database at least three times previously.

Though the problems seem to have gone away after this fourth reset, it seems like it could be a re-occuring problem that may be caused by an unpatched bug. I doubt anything else could be causing the issue to re-occur.

Jul 7, 2013 8:11 AM in response to Linc Davis

I don't think Sophos Anti-Virus is the problem, and even if it was, removal seems a bit extreme particularly as it hasn't caused any problems in the past on the same system, and it is possible to exclude certain items and/or completely disable the on-access scanner.

Looking around online further I have come to the conclusion that this is most likely a Launchpad bug. Due to the fact that based upon what I can find, people with different configurations seem to be having the same issue.

Seems like I'll have to hope Apple realises this issue exists and fixes it.

Jul 7, 2013 9:31 AM in response to BeebarbX

Search this site for the fascinating variety of kernel panics, application crashes, and other problems caused by Sophos. As long as it's installed, your system is unmaintainable, even if Sophos isn't causing this problem. Besides all that, it's completely worthless and protects you from nothing. If you're not willing to uninstall it even as a test, I have no other suggestions.

Launchpad Glitches

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.