Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMessage waiting for activation?, iMessage waiting for activation?

I turned iMessage off because I had been having problems with it (not being able to send messages even though I had service) and I tried to turn it back on and all it says is waiting for activation. So I did the airplane mode trick, I reset all my settings and I've also tried logging out and back into my Apple ID. When I log back in it asks if I want to use my phone number or email address. Even though my phone number is gray, I select it and hit next but then my number doesn't show up. It still says waiting for activation or it will just connect to my email address. Anyone know how to fix this?

iPhone 5, iOS 6.1.4

Posted on Jul 6, 2013 9:38 AM

12 replies

Sep 21, 2013 1:45 AM in response to brrrick

Hello, I can understand how frustrating this is.

I spoke to Apple just now, and they're aware. There's no solution, except to wait it out. Because of the 5s launch and iOS 7, Apple's servers are supposedly being hammered. A more senior Apple rep thought there will be delay up to 48 hours.

I have a 5s, and so does my friend. We both have the same issue as you.

This article may be helpful, just in case:

http://www.igeeksblog.com/fix-imessage-waiting-for-activation/

Fingers crossed.

Sep 24, 2013 10:28 AM in response to brrrick

I called Apple Support after trying many fixes suggested online. They directed me to the procedure on the following page:

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS4268?viewlocale=en_US

I did the erase and restore option they suggested since I had tried a pile of ther things suggested on posts and blogs and they did not work. I even waited the obligatory 24 hours, thus the restore from backup option was what they suggested. I have a 64gig iPhone 4S and it took about 1.5 hours to complete the entire operation seeing that I am using about 54 gigs of that capacity.

Warning: I lost all of my emails and all of the data files from one of my map programs so be sure you have everything that you really need from your phone store elsewhere before wiping your phone. I thought that the backup on my computer would restore everything but obviously NOT.

Hope this helps.

iMessage waiting for activation?, iMessage waiting for activation?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.