Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Separate Libraries Vs Single Library and Keywords

Hi,

I am looking for some advice regarding my filing structure in Aperture.

I moved to Aperture about 18 months ago when I made the transition from PC to Mac and after some thought and research took the view that in order to try to replicate my familiar Windows based filing structure I would create six separate Managed Libraries (UK, Italy, Rest of World, People, Nature & Miscellaneous). These are each subdivided into Projects/Folders/Albums. The Libraries are regularly, automatically backed up onto an external hard drive via Time Machine and also manually to a second external hard drive less frequently. Both h/d's are located together in the same room as the Mac as I can't justify the cost of a more elaborate system. The reason for the second h/d is that I recently had a drive fail. The above is just background information. My questions follow.

I have recently become impressed with the flexibility available through the use of keywords. I am now coming to the view that to utilise this function properly one global Library would be more sensible as I do have images that would have identical keywords in a number of Libraries.

Before taking this decision I would appreciate the views of anybody who may have gone down this road.

I presume that merging Libraries is not a particularly difficult task – but that may be my first error of judgement.

I am a terrible hoarder so will be forced into cleaning out my stock of useless images before starting merging. This was in fact one of my main reasons for moving to Aperture (as it does offer the tools to do the job) though something I have never managed to get round to!

I look forward to receiving advice and any WARNINGS !!

Cheers

Aperture 3, Mac OS X (10.7.1)

Posted on Jul 6, 2013 9:57 AM

3 replies

Jul 6, 2013 11:04 AM in response to johnpen

I have recently become impressed with the flexibility available through the use of keywords. I am now coming to the view that to utilise this function properly one global Library would be more sensible as I do have images that would have identical keywords in a number of Libraries.

That is right. To use the full power of Aperture for retrieving related images it is advantageous to have one single library.

I have only three Aperture libraries: one library for images that I use at work, one library for all my private images, and one for testing.

Having all photos that might possibly be related in one library will help you to combine and browse them freely, without having to switch between libraries. also, if you have separate libraries you may be forced to duplicate photos between libraries, if you need photos from different libraries together.

Aperture can handle really huge libraries - currently the limit is 1000000 images.

One thing that may become problematic: Copying the library will be harder, if it becomes larger than a TB, and rebuilding and repairing, or upgrading may take hours. But it is worth it.

Regards

Léonie

Jul 8, 2013 8:53 AM in response to léonie

Thanks Leonie,

I have sucsessfully consolidated my six libraries into one. It has taken a long day and evening as there was over 350 GB to move. I had to export and import a couple of the libraries in sections because of lack of memory resources. Now I have to study and plan a keyword hierarchy that fits my needs.

Cheers

John

Separate Libraries Vs Single Library and Keywords

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.