Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Accessing the hard drive of a Windows XP Laptop for data recovery through iMac. Is it possible?

Hello,

I am trying to recover data from an old Windows XP laptop and I'm wondering if it's possible to use Target Disk Mode, or if there is any way for me to access the drive so that I can run Stellar Phoenix on the drive. Any help is truly appreciated!

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4)

Posted on Jul 6, 2013 9:41 AM

3 replies

Jul 6, 2013 9:50 AM in response to ashlauhof

FireWire Target Disk Mode requires two Macs.

Can you remove the hard drive from teh PC laptop? If so, you can use one of these:

Newer Technology Universal Drive Adapter USB 3.0 - connects any 2.5", 3.5" or 5.25" drive

to mount the drive on the Mac. most Macs will read PC drives. You can't salvage applications but you may be able to recover data files.

Dec 4, 2013 12:33 AM in response to ashlauhof

Hi,

You need to reinstall the operating system and then use Data Recovery software that can restore datas from reinstalled or resized partition like remo recover. Then within a certain time you can able recover all the datas back or remove the hard drive from the mac. connect it with some other mac system and then use the software option.One thing you have to be sure is never install the tool in the same logical drive as it will harm the available datas completely...

Accessing the hard drive of a Windows XP Laptop for data recovery through iMac. Is it possible?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.