Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Need help setting up a home network w/Win & Mac

Hi, I was hoping someone could lend some assistance on an ongoing iTunes problem I've yet to figure out. I have a Windows machine that I'd like to use as a home media server, and a new MacBook Pro. The Macbook has limited hard drive space so I'd like to put my 30 GB iTunes library on a 1 TB external drive plugged into the Windows Media Server.

The thing is, the laptop physically is in a not easily to use place, so I'm accessing everything through the Macbook only. I can share the library no problem and play everything from the Mac, but adding music, editing songs and anything else you would do outside of just playing music, is not possible through the mac since I'm just looking at a shared library and iTunes does not allow you to do so.

I've read in a few places that if I open up the library in iTunes on my Mac to be the shared .itl file, that the MacBook iTunes will treat that as the home library, but it does not work, it treats it again as a shared only library that prevents me from doing the editing and other things I've mentioned.

So my question is, would anyone know how I can use a remote Macbook to look at a shared network drive, and treat it as it's home library to enable full editing and other capabilities, like it was on a local drive?

Hope this makes sense and thank you in advance.

Posted on Jul 6, 2013 10:33 AM

There are no replies.

Need help setting up a home network w/Win & Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.