Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I am trying to accomplish something that seems easy but apparently is not.

I set up an Apple ID using an existing email address, then used that Apple ID to set up an iCloud account, then used that to set up an @iCloud.com email address. I do not have the option of creating a @me.com email alias as far as I can tell.

I am able to log into all of these accounts with no problem, but when I try to set up iChat using ANY of the emails as a login, I get a password/username error.

How I think it should work is that I set up a new iChat account using the type of AIM and use the @iCloud.com email address as a login, but I get an error.

This is 10.7 and iChat 6.0.x.

The are only .me, .mac and AIM account options.

I would prefer not to set up a separate AIM account, as this is for an unskilled user and I would like to keep all email, chat, etc. grouped to the iCloud account.

Is it possible to do what I am trying to do?

What is the magic combination of steps?

Thanks for any help.

Posted on Jul 6, 2013 12:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 7, 2013 11:33 AM

Hi,

Some Apple IDs are valid Screen Names with the AIM Service.

These are the one ending in @mac.com, @me.com and @icloud.com

The first comes from when Apple ran the .Mac service (before MobileMe) and also as "iChat Names" during the MobileMe period.

When Apple changed to iCloud you could link any existing Apple ID to the iCloud Account and at first Apple gave people @me.com names.

Later @iCloud names were given out.

In some cases this does mean people have three "names" with one overriding password to access their iCloud stuff with.

As far as AIM is concerned Any Apple ID IDs/names are separate Screen Names.

However the Password does still have to be passed by AIM and this means it needs to be 16 characters or Less.

There is a related issue that probably does not effect you in that iCloud Issued IDs have to be checked by the iChat 6 app or Messages as valid on the Apple Servers which in turn allows the AIM servers to "See the Password.

As this check is built in to iChat 6 and Messages in Mountain Lion it does mean that those IDs will not work in iChat 5 or earlier versions.

Summary.

Whether you have linked an older @mac.com name or have an iCloud Issued @me.com name or just the @icloud.com name they are all valid as separate Screen Names with AIM.

However the iCloud linked ones have to be used in iChat 6 or Above (Messages in Mountain Lion).

These ones will not work in iChat 5 or versions before that.

It has always been the case that Apple Allows longer passwords than AIM does and you have to keep to the AIM limit of a Max of 16 characters.

User uploaded file
7:33 PM Sunday; July 7, 2013

 iMac 2.5Ghz 5i 2011 (Mountain Lion 10.8.4)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad
"Limit the Logs to the Bits above Binary Images."  No, Seriously

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 7, 2013 11:33 AM in response to blst.

Hi,

Some Apple IDs are valid Screen Names with the AIM Service.

These are the one ending in @mac.com, @me.com and @icloud.com

The first comes from when Apple ran the .Mac service (before MobileMe) and also as "iChat Names" during the MobileMe period.

When Apple changed to iCloud you could link any existing Apple ID to the iCloud Account and at first Apple gave people @me.com names.

Later @iCloud names were given out.

In some cases this does mean people have three "names" with one overriding password to access their iCloud stuff with.

As far as AIM is concerned Any Apple ID IDs/names are separate Screen Names.

However the Password does still have to be passed by AIM and this means it needs to be 16 characters or Less.

There is a related issue that probably does not effect you in that iCloud Issued IDs have to be checked by the iChat 6 app or Messages as valid on the Apple Servers which in turn allows the AIM servers to "See the Password.

As this check is built in to iChat 6 and Messages in Mountain Lion it does mean that those IDs will not work in iChat 5 or earlier versions.

Summary.

Whether you have linked an older @mac.com name or have an iCloud Issued @me.com name or just the @icloud.com name they are all valid as separate Screen Names with AIM.

However the iCloud linked ones have to be used in iChat 6 or Above (Messages in Mountain Lion).

These ones will not work in iChat 5 or versions before that.

It has always been the case that Apple Allows longer passwords than AIM does and you have to keep to the AIM limit of a Max of 16 characters.

User uploaded file
7:33 PM Sunday; July 7, 2013

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Jul 7, 2013 2:01 PM in response to Ralph-Johns-UK

Hi, thanks for your reply.

I am not sure if you completely read my post.

I CANNOT use the @iCloud.com or Apple ID to log in to iChat 6 or Messages 7 using Lion or Mountain Lion.

The iCould account is brand new.

The password is less than 16 digits.

Regardless of whether I use the iCloud email or the email used for the Apple ID, I get a password error.

I know the passwords and I am typing them in correctly.

Thanks again.

Jul 7, 2013 2:21 PM in response to blst.

Hi,

The Original Post says nothing about trying this in Mountain Lion and Messages.

I have an external to Apple email that I made an Apple ID some years ago.

When iCloud was introduced I linked to iCloud and was given the @me.com Address I had.

Months later I had an email about being given an @iCloud.com ID as well.

In Mail If I set up the @me.com as an account and then send to the @iCloud ID I get the email.

If I use any of the IDs (and the password that works with all of them) then I can access my iCloud web page, my Apple ID (although this does not list all the options of emails).

In Messages as the iMessages Account each name/ID seems to be treated as a separate ID.

As an AIM Login in iChat 6 or Messages the IDs (well the @me.com and @icloud.com) work as separate IDs again.

You are right in that iChat 5 has the Add account drop down that lists @mac.com @me.com (As in MobileMe) and AIM.

Essentially iCloud comes along for Mountain Lion and Messages rather than iChat 6 which probably means that it has an Add Screen similar to the iChat 5 one.

This does mean adding just the Username and relying on the Software to add the @me.com part.

Alternatively you can enter the whole Apple ID as an AIM name.

Check the ID in Keychain Access (Applications/Utilities) and double click the entry then use the Access tab to check iChat and IMAgent are allowed to access the info. (it may be sert to allow Any app but if restricted make sure iChat and the IMAgent are allowed.)

Visit the Apple ID site and check the emails linked to the Apple ID are showing as Verified.

The password being longer than the AIM allowed 16 characters is the most common cause.

I am not sure if AIM allow the same characters as Apple (all my AIM and Apple ID passwords are upper and lower case or numerical characters).

The next most common cause is that the Keychain item has become restricted but does not list the right apps.

After that we are in the realms of there being something up with the account at Apple itself.

User uploaded file
10:21 PM Sunday; July 7, 2013

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Message was edited by: Ralph Johns (UK)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.