Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't view my iPhoto libary in Time Machine backup

So here is the issue; I often view my pictures of iPhoto by going directly into the iPhoto Library: Finder --> Pictures --> iPod Photo Cache --> iPhoto Library --> then right click on this "iPhoto Library" --> Show Package Content... and I can view all my photoes/events the way I uploaded them from my camera.

So far everything is good. However, when I'm going into my External Hard Drive which I'm using as my Time Machine (Seagate Backup Plus FOR MAC) and trying to locate the same folder there I can NOT find it. The only folders I can locate under my latest backup (and every backup since I started using this external device) are:

- AlbumData2.xml

- iPhoto.ipspot

- Metadata Backup --> BackupStatus.impeta

- Metadata Backup (original) --> BackupStatus.impeta

All of the files are extremly small (like few KB) compare to my 280GB iPhoto Library.

Can anyone help me find my complete "iPhoto Library" on my external backup drive.

Thanks!

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8), I'm using iPhoto 11

Posted on Jul 7, 2013 12:56 AM

13 replies

Jul 7, 2013 1:20 AM in response to ninjagori

Finder --> Pictures --> iPod Photo Cache --> iPhoto Library -->

Is that a typo, or is your iPhoto Library really inside a folder called "iPod Photo Cache". If yes, that is a bad idea. The name is reserved for a cache inside an iPhoto library, and files with this name are treated special, for example may be excluded from the backup.

Jul 7, 2013 1:55 AM in response to ninjagori

It is very likely. I do not dare to try that with my library just for testing.

This looks like you corrupted your iPhoto Library at some time by accidentally dragging files from the iPhoto library package. Opening the iPhoto Library package for browsing is risky, and should only be done, when it is necessary to rescue a broken iPhoto library. There are safer ways to view your pictures. TD has a great user tip on how to view your pictures: How to Access Files in iPhoto

I'd recommend the following, before you move your iPhoto library:

• Check, where the library is, that iPhoto is currently using: Selct one of your photos in iPhoto's Browser and use the command "File > Reveal in Finder". Where is the image file located in the Finder? Inside the iPhoto Library in your iPod Photo Cache?
  • Search with Spotlight, if you have more than one library: Enter ".photolibrary" into the search field.
  • If you see several Libraries, open them in turn, to see which is the correct library.

Once you have identified the correct iPhoto Library, drag it to the Pictures folder.

That is the place where it should be installed.

Regards

Léonie

Jul 7, 2013 3:15 AM in response to ninjagori

ninjagori,

I forgot to ask - why are you looking for the pictures on your backup drive? Is the iPhoto library in your folder "Finder --> Pictures --> iPod Photo Cache --> iPhoto Library" not working correctly? Do you need to restore yor iPhoto Library from your backup drive?

The default place for an iPhoto Library is in the "Pictures" folder in your Home folder. Is there still an iPhoto Library in this place? Have you looked in your backups in the "Pictures" folder for a backup of your iPhoto Library?

Jul 7, 2013 3:30 AM in response to léonie

Thanks a lot for your assitance. I checked several times and the only place my iPhoto resides with all its photoes including my entire pictures and camera videos is where I noted earlier: Finder --> Pictures --> iPod Photo Cache --> iPhoto Library.

My concern now, is that if I just simply move the iPhoto Library by dragging it to the main Picture folder I will loose the link between the source (which are the photoes in the iPhoto Library) and the pictures I'm looking at when opening the iPhoto application. In other words, doesn't it breaking the connection between the pictures/events I have right now in the application and its source. if that's the case then I will have some great work in restoring everything and connecting back the photoes to its source. Basically, it's sounds to me like recreating the entire iPhoto events strarts from teh begining.

I was trying to look for the same in my external HD just as one of the events got coruppted somehow and I wanted to restore some of the photoes from the backup back to its folder on my hard drive.

Thanks again!!

Jul 7, 2013 3:40 AM in response to ninjagori

You are welcome. 🙂

My concern now, is that if I just simply move the iPhoto Library by dragging it to the main Picture folder I will loose the link between the source (which are the photoes in the iPhoto Library) and the pictures I'm looking at when opening the iPhoto application.

Moving the library between folders will not break the connection between the thumbnails and the original image files, as long as you drag the library as an entity - the whole package and not folders inside. So dragging the iPhoto library one level up, outside the "iPod Photo Cache" folder, the links shoud stay intact.

Have you checked your Time Machine preferences, if you excluded your iPhoto Library from backup?

if you press the "Options" button in the "System Preferences > Time Machine" panel, it will show a list of items, that are excluded from backup.

User uploaded file

Jul 7, 2013 4:43 AM in response to léonie

Thanks much!

I did move the entire folder and as you noted it didn't break the link between the picture and its thumbnail... so that's a good thing!

I'm executing Time Machine backup process right now and will see if this resolved the problem... if yes, then up until now I didn't have any backup for my 280GB of photoes and videos... ooooopsi............

Jul 8, 2013 12:42 AM in response to Old Toad

No there was not a backup folder or any indication for any iPhoto Library under the iPod Photo Cache folder in Time Machine, which actually it's odd as I'm expecting Time Machine to backup everything on my hard drive unless I specifically put some restrictions or add exceptions.

So bottom line as long as it was under this folder, Tine Machin just skipped it but as soon as I pulled it out from there and placed it directly under the "Picture" folder I have noticed it started backing up the iPhoto Library.

Maybe it's a good query for Apple Support to figure out why Time Machine skips folders (actually a major one like iPhoto Library) without providing any notifications that these folders were excluded!

Thanks,

N

Jul 8, 2013 3:33 AM in response to ninjagori

Maybe it's a good query for Apple Support to figure out why Time Machine skips folders (actually a major one like iPhoto Library) without providing any notifications that these folders were excluded!

Time Machine skips caches, that can easily be rebuild, when the app is launched. None of my Time Machine backups of an iPhoto Library or an Aperture Library contains the "iPod Photo Cache" folder. That saves a lot of space on the backup volume and makes backing up faster. It was just very unfortunate, that you stored your iPhoto Library inside one of these caches.

Can't view my iPhoto libary in Time Machine backup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.