Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is Apple TV Airport Extreme my solution?

Hi!

I don't know if here is the question and, more important, if this question is right. This is the scene:

I have a USB HDD and i like to connect to a router (Airport Extreme) where can be saved on it movies and music and access from the iPhone, iMac and Macbook Pro without should be turned on the iMac sharing my iTunes all the time and here is where Apple TV enters. Well, i like to play my movies on the TV and my music from my USB HDD plugged into the Airport Extreme thought the Apple TV without should turn on any computer and change the content of the HDD from any computer.

I don't know if is Airport Extreme + Apple Tv what I need to see my movies on my TV from a HDD who can be modified by any computer connected to my local net. Any advice?

Thank you!

MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4)

Posted on Jul 7, 2013 2:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 7, 2013 4:34 AM

You cannot do it.. Apple TV is almost wholly dependent on iTunes..

And Apple does not make a player for files.. If you have an Apple TV 1 or TV2 they can be hacked (jailbreak is apple term).. to play files with a real player like XMBC but ATV3 cannot be hacked.

A WD Live TV which is cheap or any other player can do it.. Apple have everything locked up behind iTunes so you need a computer running or download online store.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 7, 2013 4:34 AM in response to corcoroc

You cannot do it.. Apple TV is almost wholly dependent on iTunes..

And Apple does not make a player for files.. If you have an Apple TV 1 or TV2 they can be hacked (jailbreak is apple term).. to play files with a real player like XMBC but ATV3 cannot be hacked.

A WD Live TV which is cheap or any other player can do it.. Apple have everything locked up behind iTunes so you need a computer running or download online store.

Is Apple TV Airport Extreme my solution?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.