Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

hotmail account unable to verify account information?

In the past 2 days, I had to change my hotmail password and now I can not use my hotmail on my iphone5. It gives me a hot mail account, unable to verify account information. I can log in fine on my pc. When i called apple, they said it was a microsoft problem, and microsoft says it is an apple problem and they don't support hotmail.

iPhone 5, iOS 6.1.4

Posted on Jul 7, 2013 8:04 AM

46 replies

Mar 18, 2017 4:18 PM in response to Sladetroityer

Thank you so much !

I have two step verification in my Hotmail account and since I changed my password, I couldn't get my emails on my ipad anymore

But I followed the link you provided and got a unique password for my ipad and it WORKED !!!

I did have to go to my Microsoft account on my desktop to get the password, but it worked.

So for anyone who HAS TWO STEP VERIFICATION, this is the ONLY way to be able to get your Hotmail, Live, Outlook,... emails.

Jul 7, 2013 8:09 AM in response to patrickfromksa

It cannot be an Apple problem since all the Mail app is doing is connecting with the Hotmail servers to confirm account information.

Why would Apple support Hotmail and how could they?

Microsoft can't support an Apple iCloud account on a Windows PC or with any other email account provider since they have no way to do so.

This is a Microsoft problem.

Jul 7, 2013 8:18 AM in response to patrickfromksa

I have done what you suggested PC Max. It gives me the unable to verify account information error message. No matter how I try to set it up- as an MS exchange or just as a hot mail account. Microsoft does not have a "help desk" for hotmail, so you just wing it. I wondered if it could be related to Icloud, as I just starting using this and then the problem occurred.

Aug 4, 2013 1:19 PM in response to Sladetroityer

So, you made an account today.... and then dug through a months worth of threads to find this one to respond to? Interesting... And all just to provide inaccurate information.

Some of the previous suggestions are useful troubleshooting tips. Also, you CAN have the same password for the SAME Hotmail account, whether it's on a mobile device or on your computer.

Per the Terms of Use of this forum, please provide proof of your claim that you must use a different password for the same email account accessed on a mobile device.

Aug 4, 2013 1:34 PM in response to Sladetroityer

Two-Step Authentication is OPTIONAL, not MANDATORY.

Therefore, it is NOT required to use a separate password.

http://email.about.com/od/Outlook.com-Tips/qt/How-to-Turn-Off-Two-Step-Authentic ation-for-Outlook-com-in-a-Specific-Browser.htm

I recommend doing more research before posting a comment, especially to a thread that is almost a month old.

Aug 4, 2013 3:13 PM in response to Sladetroityer

You're arguing in circles. You said in your first post: "You cannot have the same password for mobile devices."

This is completely false. Only if Two-Step Authentication is enabled is this true. And since the default is to have it turned off, then UNLESS the user has turned it ON, then there is no problem with using the same password.

In other words, the normal, default setting does not require separate passwords.

Had you qualified your original statement, there would be no issue. But you did not do so until you were challenged on the accuracy of your statement.

The fault here is on you. The burden of proof was on you, and you only provided 'proof' (and I use that term lightly), after you were called out on it.

Next time, be sure to explain yourself more clearly to avoid confusion.

TLDR version; Two-Step Verification is not required, nor is it the default; therefore, separate passwords are NOT required under normal, default situations.

Welcome to the forums. I hope your next contribution has more accurate information.

Aug 4, 2013 3:54 PM in response to TJBUSMC1973

Did you even read the link that you sent? http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/app-passwords-two-step-verification

This can be turned off only after the authentication has been cleared. The user may disable the two-step verification once they have completed the process. Thus, the "unablre to verify account" error will occur until the user logs in with the provided password and checks the box to eliminate the "two step process."

Therefore the information I have provided is 100% accurate and I believe an apology is forthcoming.

Next

Aug 4, 2013 4:13 PM in response to Sladetroityer

You stated that you CANNOT use the same password. That is incorrect. You CAN use the same password. That's it. Period. End of discussion. Your original statement was false.

But, let's humor you:

The fact that I DO use the same password for my account is proof enough for me. I am an Outlook user. I am fully aware that it was a CHOICE whether or not to enable Two-Step Verification. I chose not to use it.

Secondly, this particular Apple ID that I use is new, yes. I don't use my old one much on these forums anymore. Doesn't mean I'm new to the site. I guess you don't understand how Apple IDs work very well. But that's okay.

I did read the link that you provided. You apparently did not. The first part says 'After you've turned on two-step verification'. In other words, it is NOT the default setting. It was NEVER the default setting. It was something that the user had to CHOOSE to enable.

You actually have to sign into your account, go to Password and Security, and Edit security info.

You have to CHOOSE to turn it on.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/two-step-verification-faq

But, hey... if you want to go argue with Microsoft about the accuracy of their own FAQ... be my guest.

hotmail account unable to verify account information?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.