Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

EVGA GeForce GTX 670 4GB on Mac Pro 2008 3,1... will it work?

I'm planning to update, my Mac Pro early 2008 with a EVGA GeForce GTX 670 4GB i have Mountain Lion etc. I'd like to know if it will be compatible and will works with my Mac Pro 2008.

I know i will lose boot screen etc. i'll need to modify cuda etc.

i saw a video on you tube, but it was about the 2GB version. i'd like to know if the 4GB version will work and PCI express 3.0 will be compatible.

this is the model code:

EVGA GeForce GTX 670 Superclocked+ 4 GB GDDR5 - PCI Express 3.0 x16 (04G-P4-2673-KR)

thank in advance.

Mac Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4)

Posted on Jul 7, 2013 10:04 AM

9 replies

Jul 7, 2013 11:20 AM in response to creativityaddicted

There is a lot in the thread I pointed out, and in other threads there as well. And you will at times miss the boot screen to get into Recovery or alternate boot drives at times.

Biggest concern, choosing one that has 2 x 6-pin cables.

The other concern is not with CUDA drivers which everyone needs, it is with using 4GB in apps. And it can be with the link speed being 2.5 or full 5GB.

Did you look for 670's in that and other threads?

Jan 7, 2014 9:36 AM in response to Raffaele Mariotti

Ciao Raffaele,

in the end i bought the EVGA Geforce 670 FTW 2GB on amazon and i must say it is a huge upgrade.

I use it mainly with After Effects CS6/CC and Premiere and it gave me a huge performance boost. (i can edit after effects project blazingly fast and cut with premiere using Mercury Engine....

You'll have to hack the cuda and openCL (but its very easy process in 5 minutes i got all set up).

As i didn't flash it (hacked ecc.) i lost the boot efi screen, it means that when you turn it on, the screen stays black till the login. (but i can live with it :-) ).

I really don't know if it's worth buying the 4gb version but the 2gb version gave my 6 years old mac pro some years more.

And i was able to use it immediately in commercial projects. (so it's very stable).

I think for the price of the upgrade is a nobrainer.

Hope this helped you.

Buonaserata e Buon anno nuovo :-)

Francesco

Jan 7, 2014 9:52 AM in response to Raffaele Mariotti

Hello Again,

basically its a non hack don't worry! :-)

just follow step by step this youtube video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPfW-L56NT0

You manually add the name of your card in an hidden text file so that it will appear in After effects and Premiere.

the 2x6 pin is mandatory i bought it on ebay. (they have to be 2)

You can buy the cables also to some apple resellers but it costs like 40 or 60 euros.

this is a youtube tutorial clip with the installation process of the card:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fdWlWX8I2k

Enjoy!

Francesco

Aug 28, 2014 1:26 PM in response to creativityaddicted

DId you get yours working?

i have the 4GB model in my MacPro 4,1. It works great out of the box with the latest OS, though OpenCL currently sees only 2GB of Video Ram, but CUDA sees all 4GB on 10.9. TonyMacs had some hacks to get opencl working, but it is supposed to work now, but Premiere only sees it as 2GB. The latest CC has a setting for unsupported graphics card, but it is an easy enough fix to make it supported in Premiere and After Effects.

You will at times get NVIDIA Web driver updates, but none of them have worked for me, and have had to zap pram to get back to the OS X drivers, which work fine.

NOt being able to see the start screen is a pain for repairs and especially for bootcamp, so i keep my old gtx 275 around in case of emergencies, but it is worth it for performance with adobe, davinci and bootcamp.

EVGA GeForce GTX 670 4GB on Mac Pro 2008 3,1... will it work?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.