Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

The computer will not turn on.

This is the new quad core iMac 27 i5, we purchased approximately April of this year. I am confident the power cord is plugged into good socket in my power strip. I see a button on the iMac power cord socket that appears as a circuit breaker. I pushed it in to try and reset it with my finger, it goes in about 1/8 inch. I don't hear a click for a reset action, do I need to push it in further?

Also, I tried pressing the iMac power button, 1 sec at first, waited, and absolutely nothing happens. Then I tried it again, holding it in for 2 seconds, still nothing. How long should this button be pressed for a power on action?

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)

Posted on Jul 7, 2013 9:05 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 7, 2013 9:55 AM

How long should this button be pressed for a power on action?

1-2 seconds.

Check out: iMac (2012) PDF Manual and KB Article: http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1587 Intel-based iMac: What to do if your computer won't turn on

=============

You have 14 days to return the computer w/no questions asked. Plus you have 90 days of FREE phone tech support on top of your standard 1 year warranty unless you also purchased AppleCare which gives you an additional 2 years of coverage plus FREE phone support.

Strongly suggest that you take FULL advantage of the above before it runs out. Let Apple deal w/the problems.

User uploaded file

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 7, 2013 9:55 AM in response to EnglishSailor

How long should this button be pressed for a power on action?

1-2 seconds.

Check out: iMac (2012) PDF Manual and KB Article: http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1587 Intel-based iMac: What to do if your computer won't turn on

=============

You have 14 days to return the computer w/no questions asked. Plus you have 90 days of FREE phone tech support on top of your standard 1 year warranty unless you also purchased AppleCare which gives you an additional 2 years of coverage plus FREE phone support.

Strongly suggest that you take FULL advantage of the above before it runs out. Let Apple deal w/the problems.

User uploaded file

Aug 26, 2013 8:54 PM in response to bill the plumber

Greetings,

Thanks for the replies. I checked the socket, it was operational. I tried it many times over a 12 hour timeframe, and finally I called an Apple service center, and took it in. A week later they replied that it worked fine for them, and they turned it on/off repeatedly and could not find a malfunction. When I took it home it worked on my first try, and I have not had a repeat problem. We use it every day for over a month since the problem. I have some Electrical Technician, and Engineering background, but never encountered anything like this. It is a real mystery.

The full story is that my teenage son pulled the plug while the Mac was working, in order to bring it to the coffee table so Grandma could see it from the sofa. He is a nice kid, and generally good with technology, it must have been one of those off days... I walked in before he got anything reconnected, and replaced it on the desk. We are confident it didn't get dropped or rough handled. In my initial research I read a reply where someone suggested waiting a full day, then it may work. My experience shows that was good advice.

The computer will not turn on.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.