Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I just purchased a 24" iMac A1225 without a hard drive. Can I transfer the drive from my old 17" iMac, with OS 10.68 installed on it, or do I have to clone, migrate or reinstall?

I just purchased a 24" iMac A1225 without a hard drive. Can I transfer the drive from my old 17" iMac, with OS 10.68 installed on it, or do I have to clone, migrate or reinstall?

Hal

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Jul 7, 2013 11:25 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 7, 2013 11:27 AM

If you can access to the 17-inch iMac, open  > About this Mac > More Info, and copy Model Identifier here. This will help us in order to know which iMac you have and if you can install its hard drive onto the 24-inch iMac.

If your 17-inch iMac was purchased in 2006 or later, you shouldn't have any problem using its hard drive. If not, you can try getting an enclosure

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 7, 2013 11:27 AM in response to Hal Frederick

If you can access to the 17-inch iMac, open  > About this Mac > More Info, and copy Model Identifier here. This will help us in order to know which iMac you have and if you can install its hard drive onto the 24-inch iMac.

If your 17-inch iMac was purchased in 2006 or later, you shouldn't have any problem using its hard drive. If not, you can try getting an enclosure

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.