Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can not select TV speakers when connected via HDMI

I have a MBP fully updated connected to a Sony TV vis HDMI/miniport. Up until today this configuration was working fine. Suddenly, I can no longer select the HDMI speakers in my audio preferences. They are recognized and appear on the list but when I select them it has no effect. Before today, when the TV was connected the HDMI output would be automatically selected and I could not access the volume control from the menu bar, which is the way I prefer it.

I have restarted with no success in changing this behaviour. If I open/close the lid, the sound goes to the proper settings for about 2s but then the HDMI speakers are de-selected and the built-in speakers are highlighted. I can manually select the TV speakers but the setting has no effect.

However, I *am* getting audio output through the TV but can not control volume from the mac or any app. I slide the volume slider on the menu bar and the audio output does not change. The sound is also playing from the laptop speakers which is highly annoying.

Posted on Jul 7, 2013 3:13 PM

1 reply

Can not select TV speakers when connected via HDMI

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.