Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My AirPort Extreme will not display the WD My Book wired through USB.

I have an AirPort Extreme (4th Generation) and a WD My Book External Hard drive (formatted to exFAT per WD technician instruction) that I would like to broadcast over my network. The HD doesn't display in the Finder or the AirPort Utility on my MacBook Pro.....Help! :-(

AirPort Extreme (4th Generation)-OTHER

Posted on Jul 7, 2013 5:42 PM

2 replies

Jul 7, 2013 5:52 PM in response to rrichar2

(formatted to exFAT per WD technician instruction)

Wrong instructions if you want to connect the drive to the USB port on the AirPort Extreme.....which only supports FAT 16/32 or Mac OS Extended (Journaled) formats. Mac OS Extended (Journaled), also known as HFS+, is recommended.

From Apple's support document:

The AirPort Extreme (802.11n) and Time Capsule support USB storage devices that are formatted as Mac OS Extended (HFS-plus), FAT16, or FAT32. Formatting a storage device as Mac OS Extended with journaling is recommended, as it may provide some more resilience if the device is removed or powered down while in use.

Note: ExFAT and NTFS formats aren't supported

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2426

My AirPort Extreme will not display the WD My Book wired through USB.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.